24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

coolant additives-

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
coolant additives-

have any of you considered running "water wetter" in your radiators? it's made by redline and available at pep boys- i would use it in my son's racing dirtbike and it was great. i was wondering if it would help the diesel out. i have talked with a buddy that works on heavy equipment and he thinks it would be a good idea. any thoughts? it's a surfactant that is supposed to help the water attach to the metal of the outer cylinders and won't "bubble off" and cavitate on the metal when temperatures get hot. made my son's dirtbike faster, believe it or not. bike was a ktm 125sx
Old 03-07-2007, 07:56 PM
Banned

my old man (dad) runs an additive in all the big trucks. I can't remember what kind it is but they swear by it.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:38 PM

From what i know our cummins dont need any additive for cavitation like the power stroke does... But i guess you chould try it...
Old 03-08-2007, 01:22 AM

I've used it in my 96 grand cherokee and it kept her cool towing through the passes with the a/c on. I was running the royal purple stuff
Old 03-08-2007, 11:25 AM

Received 149 Likes on 128 Posts
I saw an interesting recipe for Coolant a while back and it included water wetter in it. It also included distilled water, I then read somewhere that distilled water will actually pull iron out of the block because water molecules naturally attract iron ions and tap water is usually already saturated w/ iron so is a better choice when flushing and refilling. The recipe was 2 gal H2O, 1.75 gal low silicate antifreeze(ethylene glycol) 8 oz NAPA COOL and 16 oz Redline Water Wetter. I haven't tried it but thought I'd throw it in. Kurt
Old 03-08-2007, 11:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If your truck is overheating, I'd isolate and fix the problem. I've pulled our 16K GVWR 5th wheel in the Texas Hill Country in ambient temperatures of 100+ degF as well as in the Smokies in Tennessee in July and have never had an overheating problem.

There's probably nothing wrong with Water Wetter or Purple Ice, but I've never seen any need for it.

Rusty
Old 03-08-2007, 04:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You shouldn't need any more cooling than the stock system can provide. Just make sure your radiator fins are not clogged from the crankcase vent bottle. If the bottle hasn't already been moved, do it.
I replace my antifreeze about every 75,000 miles and use ONLY distilled water and antifreeze. Water with mineral content will plate the surfaces and promote electrolysis. This will lead to radiator failure. Anti-cavitation additives are not required in the 6B Cummins. Therefore they are a waste of money. Cylinder block failure WILL result if not used in a Powerstroke diesel.