24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Controlling Torque converter lockup

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Controlling Torque converter lockup

One of the things that bugs me about my automatic is when driveing on country roads at moderate speeds theres basically no engine brakeing . Even if you lock overdrive out when you let off the fuel they just free wheel . Is installing a switch the best way to deal with this ? If I did that I diffanately would would want it fixed so it would not stall the motor if I forgot to turn it off. Banks makes a device called a smart lock has anyone used one of those ?
I've even thought it would be nice to be able to control when it locks . Sure could use some feed back on the different ways this can be dealt with .
Old 01-15-2009, 11:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a lock up switch on mine and am pleased with it. Make sure your tranny is up to the task, but if you just use it for pulling grades, etc. a stocker should be fine. I have a red light that comes on when engaged and knock on wood, I haven't forgotten to turn it off yet. The way I use mine is if I'm pulling a mountain at slow speed, I put it in 2nd and when it actually goes into 2nd and my rpms are 1800 or better, I flip the switch and she locks up and temps immediately drop. Same thing coming downhill. Put it in 2nd, let the rpms come up and lock her up. Its not as good as an EB but it does some engine braking...enough that I don't have to ride the brakes.

I was going to hook mine up to the brake switch so it would kick off when the brakes were applied but didn't get around to it and haven't had a problem so I'll just leave it alone. A red light in your eyes seems to do the trick for me. Do a search and there is diagram that a member posted that will give detailed diagrams for the brake switch.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hamilton71801
...... I was going to hook mine up to the brake switch so it would kick off when the brakes were applied but didn't get around to it
Would not care for that. The locked converter is great but not enough braking to stay off brake pedal completely on a long downhill.

'Travelinman' - Do a search. There have been good threads on 'automatic unlocking' lockup switches.
Mine is same as 'Hamilton71801' Red LED in dash to remind me the converter is locked. Works well.

RJ
Old 01-15-2009, 02:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was going to hook mine up to the brake switch so it would kick off when the brakes were applied but didn't get around to it and haven't had a problem so I'll just leave it alone.
Hooking to the brake switch would negate your engine braking but it sounds like you have that figured out. It's really no problem with turning it off as it will let you know easy enough.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a red light that comes on when engaged.
I'm looking for a diagram with both a three position switch (forced lock, forced unlock and normal) and a light that shows when its forced into lockup?

Does anyone have a diagram that provides these features?
Old 01-15-2009, 03:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by offroad
I'm looking for a diagram with both a three position switch (forced lock, forced unlock and normal) and a light that shows when its forced into lockup?

Does anyone have a diagram that provides these features?
Look in my gallery, I have a bunch of different options in there.