24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Confused about lift pump failures & electronic vice mechanical fuel pumps

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Confused about lift pump failures & electronic vice mechanical fuel pumps

I expect to purchase either a 99 or 01 3500 DRW CTD tomorrow. I had previously been under the impression
that the CTDs were very reliable. I am beginning to get a different picture after reading reports of lift pump
failures and I was told by another CTD owner that the electronic versus the mechanical pumps were less
desireable. I don't know if he was referring to a lift or an injector pump (obviously I don't know the difference).

At any rate my desire is reliability, so let me describe my choices and seek your opinions.

Behind door #1 is a 99 24V CTD w/auto and 120,000 miles; seems clean drives well and as far as I know, no
modifications have been made to the engine. This truck is $4,500 cheaper than option 2

Option #2 is an 01 24V CTD w/auto and 85,000 miles; Has Banks intercooler and a BD exhaust brake at least.
Asked dealer if it had been "chipped" and he said he did not know, but doubted it. Also has Banks Boost and
Exhaust gauges on drivers door column.

Model year doesn't make that much of a difference for me, but economy (mpg) and reliability do. Are there any
issues with either of these that I should beware of? I will be using as a daily driver and only towing a 14k lb 5th
wheel RV two or three times a year while relocating from job site to job site.

What do you think?
Old 03-13-2005, 08:15 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 2001 will have a better VP44 (injection pump) and a newer model of lift pump.

99 was the first full model year of the 24 valve engine, as it came out in 1998.5.

Many 98 and 99 VP44's don't handle fueling boxes very well, and die very quickly when one is added.

Both the lift pump and injection pump have gone through some revisions from 1998.5 to 2001.

Simply put:
The Lift pump pulls fuel from the tank at relatively low psi (10-15psi) and supplies it to the injection pump, both fuel that then injected and extra fuel used to lube and cool the VP44, then returned to the tank.

VP44 supplies high pressure (very high pressure) fuel to the injectors.

phox
Old 03-13-2005, 08:33 PM

Thanks! Now, what is a fueling box? Is it a mod? what does it do?
Old 03-13-2005, 08:40 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Increases horsepower by increasing the pressure getting to the injectors, making them "pop" open longer letting more fuel in.

Most also change the timing of the engine, since timing is controlled electronically.

Made by companies such as Edge, BD, Van Aaken, etc.

In other vehicles these would be referred to as a "chip".

phox
Old 03-13-2005, 11:56 PM

I have never heard a dealer say "yep it's been chipped and pulled a trailer in the rockies" they always say "one owner, clean rig, local trade, old man owned it" blah blah blah! Here is the deal.....you have gauges and intercooler....probably been chipped! good news though, you get a start on gauges (still need fp) a brake, an intercooler, it might have a filter, sounds like you need a pusher, fp gauge, comp, and injectors so you can finish off the tranny that has been towing the 50' 5er for 80k I think everyone goes for power before monitoring...just the way of man!
Old 03-14-2005, 07:04 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by high country
I think everyone goes for power before monitoring...just the way of man!
Ha, I did the monitoring first, and then the tranny, and I still added so much power I was breaking input shafts. Little under calculation on my partt I suppose. I didn't think twins would add that much power though.

As far as the trucks mentioned, if the 2001 has 4-wheel ABS, go for it. It's nice to have all this power, but if you can't stop it....
I know, because of my 99. Now the 2001 also has dual piston calipers in the front, and rear disk if it is 2001.5. Much better stopping power than the 99.
I don't give any revision of th elift pump much credit. I worked on two 2001 trucks this weekend, one with a bad lift pump and the other with one going bad.

Chris
Old 03-14-2005, 11:59 AM

Check for 53 block on the 99. 01 might have one also, but more common in the 99. You will see large raised letters on the block above the oil pan on the drivers side near the injection pump. SOME 53 blocks have cracked. Post 53 blocks had thicker walls to prevent cracking. That said, some very high HP trucks are running 53 blocks without problems. Then again, some stock trucks with 53's have cracked.

both trucks are electric pumps. Only pre 98.5 trucks are mechanical. That goes for injection and lift pumps.

Good point on the disc brakes. They are nice!

good luck.

Thanks,
Jason
Old 03-14-2005, 01:26 PM

Re: Confused about lift pump failures & electronic vice mechanical fuel pumps

Originally posted by chuckhallett

Option #2 is an 01 24V CTD w/auto and 85,000 miles; Has Banks intercooler and a BD exhaust brake at least.
Asked dealer if it had been "chipped" and he said he did not know, but doubted it. Also has Banks Boost and
Exhaust gauges on drivers door column.
Banks gauges are integrated with their performance modules -- they don't work without the brains. I would check under the dash to see if the computer module/box is there (behind kick panel below stering column). If it's there, you already have your first mod!

Either truck will need to have the lift pump checked and/or replaced before too long. There are dozens of options to choose from. As previously indicated, start with a fuel pressure gauge and have the fuel pump "volume tested" too.