24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

cold weather woes 2!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cold weather woes 2!

I previously posted a thread with a link below that got hijacked by other users:

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/....html?t=259241

To sum it up, I am in college in Minnesota and have nowhere to plug in my truck. It is cold and my truck would turn over for a few minutes and blow white smoke but eventually the batteries would lose power and it died. I could then jump it and get things going blowing white smoke everywhere. When it was about 15 degrees It would start with a little cranking. That was my problem before I returned home for Winter break.

Now my truck was plugged in for a a few days, block heater works just fine and engine had no trouble at all cranking. However, I cranked for about 2 minutes and now the truck isn't puffing any smoke out of the exhaust. I am not to mechanically savvy but it is almost like I am out of fuel. I have removed and replaced the fuel filter which looked ok. I also added PowerService 911 to the fuel filter and still the truck shows no signs of starting. No smoke at all which I am guessing means no fuel combustion. Even with air in the fuel system I would figure I would get some kind of smoke. Any advice would be incredibly helpful because as of now the truck is just sitting and it is getting colder and colder here.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:16 PM
Banned

Does it crank at normal speed? Did you fill the new fuel filter? Are your grid heaters kicking on? Have you tried cracking the injector lines to test for fuel? Do you have any codes? (borrow a scanner from the parts store. "Key on trick" isn't worth much.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:44 PM

I just took a look under the hood real fast, havent cracked the lines yet but may do that tonight. I did notice that when i turn the key on I can hear a click and then another click several seconds later. Want to make clear that the batteries are not dead and that this is before i try and start the truck. The click sound used to be a humming sound almost like the sound of automatic shocks when they rise. Is this the lift pump or is it the grid heaters not cycling. I thought even with the grid heaters not cycling I should still be getting smoke of some kind.

Thanks, obviously your dealing with a rookie who doesn't know too much!
Old 12-29-2009, 04:53 PM

Crack your 3rd and 4th injector and turn it over until fuel comes out, but don't let it start. Long cranking can kill the VP, but make sure all your air is out. Do you have good fuel pressure or fuel going to the VP?
Old 12-29-2009, 05:08 PM

my family just moved from Iowa to Minnesota and since I was in school I have no idea where all my tools are, but I am trying to find my gauge. Without that I am of no help to you. Oh and there will be no problem with not letting it start. The truck shows no sign of starting at all. Keep having to recharge the batteries. The problem is somewhat similar to if you change your fuel filter and dont have any fuel in it and then try to start.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:35 PM

a 99 will not show codes on dash with the key cycle. crack your injector fuel lines. driver side on top going into the head crack the ones you can get at. dont start the truck but just bump the keys to engage the lift pump. should hear the pump humm. and attempt to pull fuel. keep doing this. untill you see fuel coming from injectors you loosened. if this happens tighten up. check area around fuel filter. also you said you put in 911 additive. if it was that bad to use this you should replace your fuel filter. prior to cracking injector lines fill up fuel filter canister close it and then prime it with the pump. your electric your batteries shouldnt keep draining them selves. the white smoke is normal with cold. you can turn key on and feel your grid heater area to see if they are cycling or not. hope this helps
Old 12-29-2009, 05:38 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by killercurtis8
my family just moved from Iowa to Minnesota and since I was in school I have no idea where all my tools are, but I am trying to find my gauge. Without that I am of no help to you. Oh and there will be no problem with not letting it start. The truck shows no sign of starting at all. Keep having to recharge the batteries. The problem is somewhat similar to if you change your fuel filter and dont have any fuel in it and then try to start.
the injection pump is most likely toast.....
Old 12-29-2009, 06:20 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
The click sound used to be a humming sound almost like the sound of automatic shocks when they rise.
It sounds like your grid heaters are working but your lift pump is toast. If you "bump" the starter (turn key to start but let go after starter engages) this should run the lift pump for 25 seconds. It should be pumping fuel and you can use this to fill the fuel filer housing.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:47 PM

First go to AutoZone or your favorite parts store and get a low pressure fuel gage. 15 psi and a hose set up . 1/8 npt straight barb and hose and gage. Screw this into the front pipe fitting on the filter housing. Now just bump the key, don't turn the motor over. This will drive the fuel pump for about 25 seconds. You should see about 10 psi maybe a little less if it is really cold. this will tell you if the lift pump is working also if you just loosen the fittings it will bleed most of the air out of the filter housing. Tighten everything back up. Now loosen 3 and 4 injector lines and crank it over. You see only a little fuel at first then much more. Wear saftey glasses so it doesn't spray in your eyes just incase.

If you don't see a good amount of fuel here the injector pump is toast most likely. You can rent a scan tool at most of the auto part stores so get one and scan it. If you see the dreaded 0216 you can pretty well be assured the injector pump is out. Other codes will say something like ...communication failure... Can't remember exactly but something like that.

I carry a 3500 watt generator that I use when I can't plug in. Maybe you can borrow one to at least try to warm the block while you are testing it. Be careful cranking as you can toast the starter if you crank too long. This is no fun to change when it is cold out even though it is not too hard to change.

Here in Minn you need 2 of the biggest baddest batteries you can get. I use 8 year batteries and trade them in at 5 years. Just did it and sure enough one was bad. I got 75 bucks back in warrantee this time around. A lot of guys have gone to synthetic oil for the winter but I have not so far. I have started at -28f many times after all night soak so it is possible. Also it is wise to get the Vulcan starter contacts....install them in the summer if possible. Make sure the battery cables are good and well cleaned, make sure the grounds are good. The salt is very bad on the ground connections.

Good luck.

Old 12-31-2009, 08:21 AM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Busboy
It sounds like your grid heaters are working but your lift pump is toast. If you "bump" the starter (turn key to start but let go after starter engages) this should run the lift pump for 25 seconds. It should be pumping fuel and you can use this to fill the fuel filer housing.
^^^ Start here.