24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Cold weather- white smoke, is this ok?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cold weather- white smoke, is this ok?

My first winter with my Dodge Diesel. I changed the VP-44 and lift pump in the summer and it runs awesome! I do notice that on cold starts (-10 to - 30) it will pump alot of white smoke for 10 or 15 minutes. Is this normal? Once it warms up it does'nt smoke any more than normal and runs just fine. I live in Canada and we are running a winter diesel blend that I think may contribute to some of the smoking. Does anyone else have a similar experience with thiers?
Old 12-15-2008, 11:21 AM

The white smoke is due to low heat in the cylinders. This causes an incomplete burning of fuel which in turn results in lots of white smoke. If you let the truck idle at a low rpm the fuel will actually wash the oil off the cylinder walls. It's -32C here today. I started my truck and let it run for a minute or so (until oil pressure gauge stopped moving) then used my ice scraper to idle it up to 1300rpm for 5 or so minutes. When I went outside I couldn't see my neighbours house or my truck through the smoke.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:12 PM

Yeah, I'm in Calgary -30 today. I guess it's ok then? I thought that the truck was catching fire after looking at it idling for a few minutes through all that smoke! What type of oil is best in these conditions? At least fuels cheap now, I filled up at Flying J for 79.3 c/litre last week.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Regarding oil, I'm using co-op fully synthetic 0w40. It has all the Cummins ratings, etc. That and a oil pan heater with a block heater and its instant oil pressure. If you have the latest flashes from Dodge, it should idle up automatically after a few minutes. If it does not, I made a manual high idle for $22.00 so I can idle it high when I want it. Great in summer for the A/C too. (yes it gets hot in Saskatoon) PM me if you want the instructions.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:13 PM

I buy 0W40 Synthetic from UFA. It's labelled as a UFA product but made by Esso. I paid $30 per 5L jug. Not bad really. The other day the truck was sitting for a couple of days not plugged in. It was -20C all day and when I went to start it, I cycled the grids twice and it fired up instantly. Today at -32C, and plugged in all night (12 hours) the grids only came on for 15 seconds and the truck fired right up. I have also wired battery warmers into the block heater plug.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:44 PM

Yes to the smoke when cold, I also use 0w40 Coop synthetic. The high idle is a must for cold weather.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:35 PM

i didn't know that the 2000 could idle up how cold does it have to be to idle up or where can i get that

i know the 2005 could do that with the cruise controls
Old 12-15-2008, 08:47 PM

HAH,
You guys should see my 12 valve with mass amounts of fuel and lower compression.
It sounds like it has a dragster lope when it starts and can smoke the WHOLE neighborhood out and the other neighborhoods for about 3 miles driving.

My ESPAR D5 is mine and my trucks best friend in the winter.
Warm starts and instant heat.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:19 PM

I got the dealer to download the software into truck. It will go to high idle below 0C or 32 F. At below -10 C it will go into 3 cyl high idle, shakes the house windows as i have striaght exhaust right now, but it will start throwing heat after about 15 minutes. A must for these sub zero temps. It sat for 7 hours on saturday night at -30 C. It was stiff to start but she went. I don't want to do that too often without being plugged in.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by dieselman2300
HAH,
You guys should see my 12 valve with mass amounts of fuel and lower compression.
It sounds like it has a dragster lope when it starts and can smoke the WHOLE neighborhood out and the other neighborhoods for about 3 miles driving.

I hear ya on that. My truck hasn't ran in two days, high was -25, low was -30. Go hit my Espar on, go back in the house. Come back out an hour later, heater isn't running. There an overheat code (I'm guessing right away, there was no heat whatsoever). Cycled the grids twice, fired it up. Smoke (or more likely condensation, didn't smell like fuel). Twas a cold ride before I got heat in it. Once the truck was running I turned the espar on, problem free after that. I don't want to do that too often. Even with 5w40 synthetic, it was turning over pretty slow. Think my two year old batteries are getting weak.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:11 AM

how much is it to have the codes flashed in the truck?

Casey
Old 12-16-2008, 12:12 AM

how much is it to have the codes flashed in the truck?

Casey
Old 12-16-2008, 01:02 PM

My dealer did not want anything. I bought a box of donughts for his shop crew.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by dieselman2300
HAH,

Same here, mine smokes the whole neighborhood all in about 30 seconds then stops smoking, but does your 12 valve have trouble cranking at first? what I mean is it is 3 short turnovers then mine will come to life on days she isn't plugged in. My grid heater is disconnected and I am assuming this to be the problem.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:35 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I'd avoid letting a dealer do it. If you can find someone with a Smarty in your area, have them flash one of the Smarty levels, and then flash the stock software back on your truck. Then you'll have both the high idle and 3 cylinder. Probably worth a 6 pack of good beer to the Smarty owner though.

Mike

Quick Reply: Cold weather- white smoke, is this ok?