24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Cold start problem w/codes 99 dually

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 12:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cold start problem w/codes 99 dually

Well it was -15 today and I had not started the truck for a day and a half due to about with the dentist.

I cycled the grid heaters twice then tried to start it. It would turn over fine but just would not hit enough cyl to keep running. I kept trying cycling the heaters once each time. About 5-6 times. I was getting worried that the batteries would run down when it finally started. It ran really rough for a minute or so then went in to 3 cyl. I let it go for a couple minutes then kicked the pedal and backed out of the parking lot. I had about 7# fuel pressure. The lowest I've seen it in a long time. But it was really cold and I had a full tank.

Just as I got to the street the check engine light came on. I had to get to work so I just let it go as it was smoothing out . After about 15 minutes on the highway it settled down and I cruised another 45 minutes to work.

I was able to plug it in at work so it started right up in the afternoon but the check engine light remained on. I drove home then got out my Smarty and checked the codes. 9# fuel pressure on startup...still -9 deg high for the day.

Here are the codes:

253 Fuel injection pump valve open
602 ECM fueling calibration error
1682 charge system low
1693 DTC cleared on companion Jtec module

Do you think these were created due to the problems starting??

I sure hope these are not leading up to a new VP-44. I had 9# fuel pressure for the first 15 minutes or so then it came up to 10-11 on the highway.

I cleared the codes then waited 6 hours to go for a ride to get it warmed up for the night. No codes came back. Also the ABS light went out again. It's been on and off for years. The truck started fine and ran actually a little better than normal for -12 below.

We'll see in the morning how it goes. If it is -15 again I'll hit the grid heaters 3 times. I'm pretty sure it will work this time. It's been a while since it has been this cold.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:18 PM

Hey man, there has been times when my truck has thrown some goofy codes like that when draining the batteries due to an extremely cold start. I think I drove past ya on Robert street in west saint Paul last week. Your truck sounded pretty good! I would say drive on... If you ever need any help or a place to work on your truck I'm only about 5 miles away from ya...
Old 01-28-2013, 11:39 AM

I would not keep cycling the heaters, The timer will give you what you need. Cycling over again is just wasting battery power and not heating anything up any more. At that temp it is going to take a bit of coercing to get it going. I would definitely leave more time for warm up. That is a very expensive engine to damage just because you did not want to go out in the cold to start it ahead of time and go back in and have a cup of coffee. You will be putting a lot of fuel into your oil doing what you are doing.

Rick