24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

cold engine stalling when put into gear

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 10:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cold engine stalling when put into gear

recently installed a suncoast built tranny, and had no problems. last weekend i installed a quadzilla XZT & raptor 150 getting (22PSI idle and 15 WOT).

first start up in the morning, starts and idles fine. once i put it into gear (either reverse or drive) the engine stalls on me and lurches REALLY hard. i somewhat think its the converter, but the problem didnt happend till i installed the lift pump and Quadzilla...

im having a hard time narrowing this down. Anyone else have any problems like this before?

is there a way i can test my tranny pressures to see if its locked up when i put it in gear?
Old 11-23-2012, 11:01 PM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
Sounds like a fueling issue...any codes?
Old 11-24-2012, 09:06 AM

No, I've checked for codes, im thinking its either the VP44 not being able to keep up, or my converter is shot....

Once I do have it in gear its fine, its just a EDIT......and stalls really bad
Old 11-24-2012, 10:51 AM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
Somethings up.. The Cummins shouldn't stall out very easily with its torque number....

I think you are on the right track in your diagnosis.

Maybe post up in the performance and accessories section for some more hits.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:58 AM

only problem is there is no GOOD OR EASY way (that i know of) to check the VP44 or the converter... and the problem is worse when its cold. i have no problems starting it up, or once its in gear the truck runs like a champ! but its that first thing in the morning putting it in gear....

is there a way the converter can be draining overnight? is there a way to test/check that?
Old 11-25-2012, 04:55 PM

well the problem was my quadzilla chip, i think i already had a weak VP44, and it just wasnt able to keep up with the different timing that the chip was giving it...

is there any for sure way of checking the VP myself?
Old 01-20-2013, 03:59 PM

still having this problem... if i start it up and drop it imediatly into gear, its fine, but if it idles longer than 10 seconds it will stall when its dropped into drive or reverse....took the chip off and still having the problem....

any help?
Old 01-21-2013, 07:58 PM

Not much help here, but I have the same problem. On a really cold start it will stall out when dropped into either gear. My solution is either let it warm up a bit, or to feather the throttle while moving into gear. Sometimes I am fortunate enough to be on a slight slope and will roll in neutral then choose the gear.

I think it's a combination or cold/thick tranny fluid along with a cold engine.

I have accepted it as a side effect of a bullet-proof tranny.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:23 PM

ya ive thought of that as well,,, but it still bugs the hell outta me!!!!!!
Old 01-22-2013, 11:23 PM

Get a hold of suncoast and ask them. They will prob have an answer.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:53 AM

ive tried that they arnt helping and are blaming it on myRV275 injectors that ive had in there for 3 years...

there being cheap!

i think my converter might be draining while its cold and thats causing it to stall.... what do yall think?
Old 01-23-2013, 09:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cowboykilla235
ive tried that they arnt helping and are blaming it on myRV275 injectors that ive had in there for 3 years...

there being cheap!

i think my converter might be draining while its cold and thats causing it to stall.... what do yall think?
It for sure is not drain back that would create the exact opposite = driveline slow to engauge.

Try cleaning the map sensor. Maybe just let the truck warm for a few minuets in neutral and then pull it into gear to see what it does.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:27 PM

ya i could do that, but like i said, if i start it up and throw it into gear, its fine. if i start it and let it warm up, it could take upwards of 15 mins @high idle, before i can drop it into gear without it stalling...
Old 01-24-2013, 12:39 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I started a thread on this a couple weeks ago and the few replies I got just stated that it's a result of using a triple disk TC and that I should just get use to letting it warm up for a few minutes in neutral. I'm still not real happy with this set up. The TC also locks up very aggressively and feels more like a sled puller then a serious towing truck. I guess these triple disk convertors have little to no dampening. I'm considering having a aftermarket single disk installed as I tow a 22 foot trailer. For 140k miles I was happy with a DTT single disk and when that failed I was going to just replace it but heard there was a change in ownership with DTT.
Is it true that all triple disks have these problems? I should have done more homework but needed my truck back in a hurry so I settled with what my tranny guy offered. I use a Smarty and have 90hp injectors. I've returned the Smarty to stock and it makes no difference.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:40 PM

ya im not very happy with it stalling!

Quick Reply: cold engine stalling when put into gear