24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Code P0234 or, My dealer sucks!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 11:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Code P0234 or, My dealer sucks!

Hi, didn't even know I had anything wrong! Motor has seemed a little down on power, but I just wrote that off to becoming used to the torque. Just came in from plowing snow, and tried the on-off-on-off-on trick to see if I had any codes, and found P1693.

So, I went to Autozone and used their reader to find a P0234 code. My reading here seems to indicate this is likely a stuck wastegate, so I called my dealer. They said "ignore it". When I balked, they said "clear it, then ignore it". Oh, I also got the famous "they all do that". Cortland Chrysler Dodge of Cortland, NY, a place to avoid.

At one point they also said this was "normal", that it's just the computer keeping the boost in range! I told them there's nothing "normal" about a code, it's defueling and robbing me of power, and they said this is doubtful, but possible...

When I told them this was unacceptable, they tried to scare me off with claims of $240 in charges just to see what's wrong, even with a warranty. They said there's no way for me to check a wastegate to see if it's stuck.

Anybody have any suggestions? I'm going to clean the MAP sensor and use dielectric grease on the plug. I have disconnected the battery to clear the code, to see if it returns. Is there really no way to check the wastegate?

Michael
Old 02-27-2008, 04:45 PM

codes

Aren't these codes injector pump? Mine has always defuelled since new! Usual code is 1698 I think .
Old 02-27-2008, 05:18 PM

No, not injector pump codes. P1693 is just saying that the companion module has a code. In other words, you need an OBDII scanner to read.

Reading that with an OBDII gave me the P0234, a search here tells me:

P0234 (M) Turbo Boost Limit Exceeded Problem detected in turbocharger wastegate.

Using the search I read some posts about people fixing this by cleaning the MAP sensor, but most said that the turbo wastegate is stuck shut, and said that this was actually a pretty common problem. Supposedly caused by not driving the truck hard enough, which is likely in my case. I almost never go past 1/2 throttle!

I'd like to confirm my wastegate really is stuck, before I take it to the (st)ealer, pay $240 and get told to my face "they all do that", or some such Cr@p.

This dealer is the same place that had my truck for 3 days, for a "36,000 mile service" and all they did at the end of 3 days was change the oil..... That little bit of service is what led me to this site, to avoid those clowns in the future.

Michael
Old 02-27-2008, 05:32 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
I'd say maybe a MAP sensor is going bad. It's not uncommon. Here's a post from just today.
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=194314

Don't buy one from the dealer. WAAY overpriced I feel. Check out these guys.
http://www.hoeslidiesel.com/specials.htm