24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Code P0216: Fuel Injector Timming Error

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 04:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldn't call it a dead injector pump, because it still works. Though, there is probably something wrong. I'll have the previous owner take it back to the shop as he said he would if there was a problem. He only said there was some warranty, not what kind.

When trying to start, it has been making that noise again like the starter is trying to go but it's jammed or something. I saw that the "check gages" light flashes when it's making the noise.

In other news, I checked the codes again and now it also lists P1740 for the TCC O/D solenoid. I read some threads on here about that problem, but people don't seem to have the same answer or any answer at all.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
When you cracked the fuel lines at the injectors - what happened? Did you have fuel spraying out?
The fuel drained out when I disconnected the hose before the injector pump. Then I took the injector nuts off and when I cranked it the fuel eventually squirted out once it got its prime back. I didn't see the squirting, but it started running on 3 injectors for a few seconds before I shut it down and then there was fuel sprayed on stuff all the way to the edge of the engine compartment.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Probably should pull the starter out and look at the gear, and flex plate... An issue there would be easy to spot and explain your grinding. Buying new contacts before hand wouldn't be a bad idea either... They are cheap, and you will use them at some point. Check them and replace if necessary while the starter is out.
As for belts and timing, definitely no relation... Belt drives: a/c, fan, water pump, and alternator.
Gears drive (in the aluminum housing on the front of the motor) drive: the fuel injection pump, cam, vacuum pump, power steering... Both systems are driven by the crankshaft... and the starter turns the crankshaft.. Might be a good idea for you to invest in a repair manual of some kind as well.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by ops_8_8
Probably should pull the starter out and look at the gear, and flex plate... An issue there would be easy to spot and explain your grinding. Buying new contacts before hand wouldn't be a bad idea either... They are cheap, and you will use them at some point. Check them and replace if necessary while the starter is out.
As for belts and timing, definitely no relation... Belt drives: a/c, fan, water pump, and alternator.
Gears drive (in the aluminum housing on the front of the motor) drive: the fuel injection pump, cam, vacuum pump, power steering... Both systems are driven by the crankshaft... and the starter turns the crankshaft.. Might be a good idea for you to invest in a repair manual of some kind as well.
There you go - that's what I was waiting to hear. Everything is driven by the crankshaft and the starter drives the crankshaft during starting. The idea that you guys are missing is that it works both ways. As an engineer, I understand that if, for example, the belt pulleys were completely frozen you are probably going to have a tough time turning the crankshaft even though the crankshaft drives the belt. It's the same concept as your brakes. Your wheels are accelerated by a force but they can also be accelerated (negatively) by another force - namely brakes. Therefore, the starter motor can be (and is) related to the injection pump even though they are not directly connected together. When the starter motor runs, the injection pump tries to run too - that means they are related. Since it is a series system, when one thing in series totally fails everything fails that is in the same series whether it's the last or first thing being driven. If it doesn't happen that way, then the elements are not in series only.

Thanks for the comments. I mean no offense, of course.

The previous owner called the shop and the shop said that I could just bring the truck in for the fuel pumps. The previous owner said the pump has something like a 20k mile warranty and it wasn't only replaced a month ago.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:37 PM

I'm not an engineer... nor am I going to spend my time doing the math to prove my theory which is as follows...
Your fuel pump issue, (which it sounds like you have one) is in no way causing your starter issue. The starters on these trucks are a high torque gear reduction starter that is made to start a big heavy engine with high compression. They make a lot of torque. Then, via the gear on the starter (which is real small) and the gear on the flex-plate or flywheel (which is real big) further compound that torque and turn the crankshaft over. If your injection pump, or anything else jams up to the point where a properly maintained starting system (good batteries, cables, connections, starter) wont turn it over, its time to start tearing parts off.
Now if your starter seems to be turning and your engine is not, which is what it sounds like your saying, take the starter out and investigate... or stuff a baring tool in the engine and see if that will turn it over.
And although your pump is nearly new, it could have failed, or could have been no good to begin with... Anything new or rebuilt is only new or rebuilt on the day it gets put on the shelf, and its condition is usually unknown the day it is taken off the shelf and installed. Or maybe the shop that installed the new pump screwed something up.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:44 PM

I agree with that.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:31 PM

And of course, the key switch is in series with the starter, it too effects the timing. When you turn the key it is the initial start of timing. And if the radio is on, it is linked to the timing too.!
There just messing with you.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by j-fox
And of course, the key switch is in series with the starter, it too effects the timing. When you turn the key it is the initial start of timing. And if the radio is on, it is linked to the timing too.!
That's very funny. The key (it's a switch) actually is in series - nothing works without it besides the cab lights and stuff. I think the radio is in parallel with the engine - it can operate without the engine running. Even so, if the radio had some kind of malfunction where it drew high amperage (maybe short circuit), it could effect starting and running.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by j-fox
First off...
"They're" just messing with you.
Next, where is your USEFUL knowledge on the problem being discussed?

Thanks, you've been helpful
Old 08-04-2009, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by ops_8_8
First off...
"They're" just messing with you.
Next, where is your USEFUL knowledge on the problem being discussed?

Thanks, you've been helpful
My useful knowledge was when I posted that the belts and pulleys have nothing to do with the timing of the VP44!!!!
Old 08-04-2009, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by drolex
That's very funny. The key (it's a switch) actually is in series - nothing works without it besides the cab lights and stuff. I think the radio is in parallel with the engine - it can operate without the engine running. Even so, if the radio had some kind of malfunction where it drew high amperage (maybe short circuit), it could effect starting and running.
Oh, you are wrong.!!!
THe key is not a switch, it is a tool to operate the switch!!!!!

And that key looks like other keys, that may unlock your house, so your house in involved too!!!
Maybe we can time the vp44 from the couch????
Old 08-04-2009, 09:26 PM
DTR's Cow Boss

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Look I don't want to sound like a jerk but come on people are giving you solid answers stop trying to over think this problem I have been on this board for along time there is a vast well of knowledge on here. PO216 is a code for a failing injector pump the noise your hearing is probably the lift pump starving from lack of fuel to the injector pump. Either a bad pump or the shop only replaced the lift pump and charged the guy for injector pump and lift pump. Sounds like you need to get the truck ran though a shop and make sure the guy is on the up and up about this truck and how it was cared for in its life.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by DodgeCowboy
Look I don't want to sound like a jerk but come on people are giving you solid answers stop trying to over think this problem I have been on this board for along time there is a vast well of knowledge on here. PO216 is a code for a failing injector pump the noise your hearing is probably the lift pump starving from lack of fuel to the injector pump. Either a bad pump or the shop only replaced the lift pump and charged the guy for injector pump and lift pump. Sounds like you need to get the truck ran though a shop and make sure the guy is on the up and up about this truck and how it was cared for in its life.
Thanks for the comments. I started using this board a few years ago.

I'm not over-thinking this. Earlier I just wanted to point out that something down the drive-line can effect things higher up in the drive-line. It seems that they were thinking resistance on the belt had no effect at all on the crankshaft. Maybe it's not the problem here, but I think it's worth noting. Maybe it is the problem.

The noise is not "the lift pump starving from lack of fuel to the injector pump." I don't think that makes sense, anyway. Maybe it's the injector pump starving for fuel as I previously suggested. With this noise, the engine does not crank. Whatever is making this noise is making it very hard to crank the engine.

I'm sure both lift and injector pumps are new as I can see them and as my friend who is the Dodge dealership service bay manager pointed out. Plus, I already took the truck to the shop this morning under the warranty for the pumps as I said I would do. I haven't heard from them yet.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:42 AM

check this i had the same code and i never had a check engine light come on i went out started the truck jumped in and put it in gear and low and behold no throttle at all kept driving the truck all the sudden woke up and took off i immediatly thought tps dropped it off at a dodge dealer and had them replace it picked it up 2 hours and 600 dollars later they cleared all my codes sent me on my way well the truck rin fine for a day then the same so i took it to gillette diesel service and they red the codes so then i was out 1300 dollars on top of the 600 from the tps so feel lucky you did not jump to conclusions
Old 08-06-2009, 05:44 AM

ran fine

Quick Reply: Code P0216: Fuel Injector Timming Error