24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Code P0122, APPS Sensor, and TC locking and unlocking- All fixed

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 03:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Code P0122, APPS Sensor, and TC locking and unlocking- All fixed

I'm making this thread in hopes that it might help someone out that is looking at the option of having to buy a new APPS sensor (I know I looked for every way around it). Just an informational thread.

Symptoms i had
-P0122 code showed up and i tried clearing it a few times
-I had some random surging/dead peddle...mainly when it was cold. It got REALLY bad the last 2 nights
-The torque converter locked and unlocked between the speeds of 45 and 55. (I've actually had this for a while and i thought it was completely non related to the APPS)

I tried the peaddle reset a couple of times and cleared the codes but sure enough it came back again. I was in the process of shopping around for a new sensor when i stumbled across this little gem of a post:

Originally Posted by wcjp
Here is how to reset the APPS.

RESETTING THE APPS SENSOR.
(ACCELERATOR PEDAL POSITION SENSOR)
2ND GENERATION 24 VALVE TRUCKS ONLY.

LIST OF TOOLS NEEDED

DIGITAL VOLT METER
# 20 TORQUE BIT SOCKET
# 1 PHILLIPS
# 10 MM SOCKET

Proper service and repair procedures are vital to ensure personal safety of those performing the repairs. Standard safety procedures and precautions should be followed at all times to eliminate the personal injury or improper service, which could damage the vehicle or compromise its safety.
Although this material has been prepared with the intent to provide reliable information, no liability is assumed in reliance of this material.

It has come to my attention that a lot of people think by disconnecting & re-connecting the batteries and stepping on the throttle it is going to reset the apps, no, that is not correct. It is impossible to adjust your apps if you do not know where it is supposed to be set at. That is why you need the voltmeter.

This is the procedure I use to re-set the apps.

With the key on, engine off you need to probe the apps wire to see where your voltage is currently set at.
The best location to probe the wire is on the PCM (power control module) which is located off the passenger side of the firewall.

• You want the C1 connector, this is the connector closest to the engine,
• You want the orange wire with the dark blue tracer which is pin # 23
• Voltage should read somewhere around 0.5 volts,
• At this point the voltage reading does not matter, it just has to be accurately written down for later reference.

*** TURN THE IGNITION OFF ON THE TRUCK ***

• The apps sensor is located slightly above and a little to the left of the injection pump.

• Remove the black plastic cover that is located by your injection pump.

The two screws that are holding it are plastic, do not put any downward pressure on them or you will never get them off.

• Un do the 6 - 10 mm headed bolts that hold the bracketry in place.
(DO NOT REMOVE THE CABLES)

You will notice the apps is on the back of the bracketry that you just removed, it is held in place by 2 - 20 bit screws. These screws have a little bit of locktite on them so make sure you have a good socket and gently give a little tap with a hammer before attempting to loosen. Be very careful these screws strip very easily and you only get one shot at them.

• On the apps you will find a white tag that gives you the information on what the apps adjustment should be.

• After loosening the screws you can rotate the apps both clockwise and counter clockwise to get the adjustment you need.

• The reading you took at the beginning of the process on pin # 23 should match the white tag on your apps, if not adjust accordingly.

After this I did the regular battery disconnect and peddle reset and took it for a spin. My code that usually poped right back up after resetting it a few times before didn't rear its ugly head. I started driving along (in cool weather) and it drove perfectly fine. When i got up to speed i realized that my TC wasn't locking and unlocking every 2 seconds. I drove the truck for about 30 or so miles tonight with no drama whatsoever. Looks like i'm back to normal. I just wanted to post this up because i see a lot of people jumping straight from the "peddle reset" to a new APPS and this is the real way to do it.

-Brendan
Old 07-14-2007, 03:46 AM

Also, i should mention that when calibrating the APPS itself, its REEEEAAALLLY touchy, just be patient with it when are trying to get it to the correct voltage.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:42 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad it worked out for you. Although, DTR has had this procedure in it's Tech Facts section for a while. Originally, Bill Kondalay from DTT had wrote this because of all the people he had heard about trying to reset their APPS by pulling the battery cable.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:21 AM

I find that a bit hard to swallow, since I reset mine by the battery-disconnect method and it cured my TC unlocking problem.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:32 AM

^ Yeah, I may have had a bit more of a sever issue of this problem.

Originally Posted by Mike D
Glad it worked out for you. Although, DTR has had this procedure in it's Tech Facts section for a while. Originally, Bill Kondalay from DTT had wrote this because of all the people he had heard about trying to reset their APPS by pulling the battery cable.
Yeah, thats what i kept seeing, i saw no reference to this reset on here. Well this might help if someone is just openly searching the forums for this issue.