24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Clutch Slippage

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 10:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Clutch Slippage

Hi all.

I just got back from a 800 mile haul with ram and gooseneck trailer (only pulling maybe 6000 lbs)

I noticed when I was pulling long grades at about 70 mph in 5th I'm pretty sure I was starting to get some clutch slippage

Never had any before.

clutch engagement has been rough and grabby though for a while. Release Bearing? Pilot Bearing? I dunno what the issue is.

I had Tranny pulled 20,000 miles ago to do a 3rd gear syncro. They replaced input bearing as well. Shortly after this
clutch got grabby on launch. Sometimes would not want to change gears (not releasing all the way???)
Said clutch looked like new then I'm thinking 1. either clutch was pretty well smoked then. or 2. The screwed something up on the reinstall and has caused this issue.
Now I seem to have slippage (although very slight) back out a bit and it holds.

I have to travel 2500 miles this weekend. (not towing, basically empty truck) so long as I'm not leaning into it on the hills it should be ok eh?

Seems WAY to few miles to need a clutch job allready!!!! I do tow a bit and sometimes heavy, but not THAT often.

I have never EVER replaced a clutch in a truck I've owned.

I'm seriously not hard on clutches ie. don't ride it etc. I'm a "class A" driver so I do have some clue what I'm doing.

Have tractors here etc with 6,000 hours + on original clutches.

What's the deal?
Old 12-29-2004, 11:55 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It might be your pilot bearing or throwout bearing.
Old 12-30-2004, 02:13 AM

Talk to Dan @ Quad 4X4, he has a improved pilot bearing set-up that gets rid of the JUNK factory bearing, it's sealed, but you have to machine the flywheel for it to fit. Honda cars have had them forever, imagine that!!

Tom
Old 12-30-2004, 07:45 AM

You didn't say anything about the friction plate being replaced....

From my experience with grabby clutches is a hot spot has started in the flywheel and clutch assy. (Kinda like little bluish burns in the flywheel) Usually cause by slippage...

If a throw-out bearing was a problem most times you would get a lot of grinding noise when you pressed the clutch pedal in. (Bearing failure)

If you got clutch slippage during towing... It's only going to get worse as you tow more. Sorry to say...

Just my 0.02 of experience...
Old 12-30-2004, 02:42 PM

Yep I know it'll get worse period whether I tow or not. Towing will just accelerate the wear.

The throw out bearing I don't think would cause it to slip.

But could have possibly been part of the grabbiness problem??? (at times would want to jump and chatter like a brute)

I know I'm going to have to do a clutch job.

I figure on, friction plate, pressure plate, throw out bearing and pilot bearing.

But like I said I have to go on a 2500 mile unloaded trip this weekend. I'm concerned about a failure but don't have time to get a clutch job done! atleast I won't be towing. I'll just have to take it easy on the throttle when it's under load and hope for the best I guess. I don't think it will be a problem. So long as you don't let it slip it's gonna run a while yet eh???

Thing I don't understand is the clutch surprised me and seemed to slip when I wouldn't expect it. ie 70 mph slight grade towing. On the same trip I pulled some 9% grades and the truck was really working but got no slippage. Very weird.

So what do you all reccomend for a clutch???
Old 12-30-2004, 04:03 PM

call Peter as South Bend............. mine wanst slipping, but at times would grab like crazy and at other times wouldnt release completly. when I replaced it a peice of the clutch plate between the lining material had broken, according to s/b this or the springs popping out is a common thing.
Old 01-01-2005, 09:34 AM

It seems once ya slip it once thats it, then it seems to like doing it more often

Trending Topics

Old 01-04-2005, 04:10 PM

Just did the 2500 mile run. When I left I found I could make it slip in the hills. By the time I got here it seemed to be working fine????? No slpiiage.

Don't know what's going on.

Don't want clutch to crap out completely and leave me stranded but want to run it as long as possible.