24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Clutch???

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 10:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch???

Ok so i have my Hyper Tech Max Energy on stage one and this morning on my way to work when i was taking off from a stop i was slamming through gears and noticed that letting the clutch out (soft popping the clutch) in 3rd and 4th my engine picked up then dragged back down then just acted normal. I have about 113K on my truck and as far as i know it is stock. Please help me know if/ how soon, i need to start saving for a new clutch. whats a good clutch? I'm trying to sell my hypertech so i wont need something that would hold up to a lot of power.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:42 AM

Sounds like you were overpowering the clutch. Such is more likely to happen in higher gears when pushing go pedal. Life is dependent on number and duration of power slip events. I would be a good ideal to save for the clutch or other event. Good to have rainy day money.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
For 4 more days DTR is running a heck of a sale on South Bend DD3250 clutches.

You wont slip that one, and at 300 bucks off, why wait?

At least taht way you know you are covered on the clutch.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cody_d
..Please help me know if/ how soon, i need to start saving for a new clutch. whats a good clutch?
Depends how you drive. extreme example - I have seen a totally smoked clutch go another yr....with light throttle and as long as rpm's were kept under 2000.

Go with South Bend and do it right the first time. Plan on adding power down the road?

RJ
Old 02-10-2009, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by dozer12216
Sounds like you were overpowering the clutch. Such is more likely to happen in higher gears when pushing go pedal. Life is dependent on number and duration of power slip events. I would be a good ideal to save for the clutch or other event. Good to have rainy day money.
i was thinking that i was over powering the clutch too, so i found an empty parking lot tonight and got going till i was in 3rd gear and "power braked" it when i was in my power band and it didnt slip at all, i also tried doing the same thing in 4th and 5th gears, with the same result.

when the clutch in the gmc sanoma at my work went bad it slipped all the time, when ever i gave it any gas. and i'm just kinda scratching my head. cause thats the only clutch i have had go out on me, but i guess gas and diesel clutches are two seperate monsters.

Originally Posted by RowJ
Depends how you drive. extreme example - I have seen a totally smoked clutch go another yr....with light throttle and as long as rpm's were kept under 2000.

Go with South Bend and do it right the first time. Plan on adding power down the road?

RJ

I heard about south bend, and was thinking about going with one of their clutches, but I just had to replace my LP, and my IP is close to going too (i think) so money is getting tight. I guess the programer is coming off and getting sold to help fund this repair.

I dont plan on making any BIG power. Just what ever a fuel economy chip/programer will give me. I dont think i'll go back to a power (stricktly) programer.