24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

clicking relay draining battery

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 10:26 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
clicking relay draining battery

Hey gang,
searched & searched but could not find an answer to a dilemma-
my 99 24v plow truck has the big blue relay (asd?) constantly clicking when the truck is shut off. Sometimes its once in awhile, other times its pretty constant. Its in the fuse block just inside the drivers door.
I've checked connections on the power seat wiring (from another post), & checked connections to my plow solenoid which has my plow, salt spreader & backup light hooked up to (but all switches are off)
any ideas?? I hope it won't catch anything on fire until I fig it out!
worth menntioning it drew my batteries down pretty bad & had to jump start it.
In the past few months, I've also had sporadic issues with the voltage dropping while I'm using the plow, where the idiot bell comes on & my voltage is down to 8-11 volts on the factory gauge, then it comes back up to normal. I have put my voltmeter on the alternator & seems ok. I've tried not to add too much workload to the system but I have to have the plow, backup light, & spreader.
any ideas?? Thank you
Old 02-13-2013, 10:28 PM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
Check all grounds...Make sure your relays are hooked up correctly and connectors are tight and not corroded.

check batteries for parasitic draw and see what you have.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:47 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
How do you check for parasitic draw?
I have everything turned off, including the truck, & sometimes it clicks like mad. Other times just here & there
Old 02-17-2013, 05:16 PM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
Everything off, unhook under hood light and passenger battery. Wait 1/2 hour and put volt meter on battery terminals and get reading. It should be set in milliamps.

A small amount is normal, I can't remember what it is at the moment, somebody may post up....

You may also want to check your glove box switch to make sure the light is not staying on, but it isn't on a relay.