24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Cleaning Radiator

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 10:57 AM
I wish I was as fine, as those who work the pipeline!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RowJ
That pic is actually from member 'Crotex'. Pulled it off his Photo Gallery since I ran out of room and erased mine. There are other pics there and his is the one I copied.

Send me your e-mail address and I'll send several pics of mine.I got hose valve at Walmart for $2.00. 3 ft of 3/4" copper tube at junk yard.... $$4.00. I JB Welded the end of the tubing shut and also used it to attach the nozzle/valve to the other end. Then I used a hack saw and cut a groove in flattened end of copper tube. Took all of an hr to make and works well.

RJ
That is great, I was wondering what the grey tip was!!! For the life of me I just could not figure it out. Email is on the way, thanks a bunch!!!!
Old 02-23-2009, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by nickg
If its dirty, my experience is that it cannot be cleaned in the truck, there's too much stuff in the way, fan/shroud, intercooler, tranny cooler, ac condenser. I used degreaser (couple of cans) and went to the car wash a couple times and Finially I removed the rad (took 20mins or so) and took the rad to the car wash it took 10$ and a can of drgreaser before clean water would pass thru the cores!! I do not care what anyone says it cannot be cleaned well while in the truck because you cannot get a wand in there to blow from the inside to outside. if you are lucky you might blow the oily crap off the outside of the rad but it will still have dirt/oil embedded inside the fins.

I'm sorry but there is no way to clean it properly unless you remove it, its not a hard job and you run less risk of damaging fins if you can apply water straight on vice at an angle
What he said! ^^^^^! I too pulled it and went to the car wash if you look in my profile you can see what an oily rad. looks like!
Old 02-24-2009, 05:47 PM

Just so I'm clear as this is on my list before towing this summer and I need new antifreeze. Remove Rad, spray degreaser and spray through fins from front to back correct.

Thanks
Old 02-25-2009, 08:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2500Ram
Just so I'm clear ... spray degreaser and spray through fins from front to back correct.
Since your removing it, I would do both. Whatever it takes. If you have oil on the front, will probably have to spray down the front after applying degreaser.
Advantage to spraying from the back is .... easier to force all the dust, dirt and dried bug bodies back out the way they came!

RJ