24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Cleaning Bugs from the radiator

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2003, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cleaning Bugs from the radiator

Seems like I read a thread a while back that contained a good tip about how to clean bugs from the radiator. I think it mentioned something to spray on the bugs and let it soak. Made it easier to spray them out of the cooling fins.<br><br>Did I dream this or does anyone have a good tip.
Old 06-15-2003, 10:58 AM
Banned

Re:Cleaning Bugs from the radiator

after their dry and crunchy I just use a stiff bristle brush
Old 06-15-2003, 02:44 PM

Go and get you a peice of screen, about three foot by four foot, put in front of your Radiator, then you can take it out and shake the bugs off.<br>$2.64 for two peices <br>Good luck<br>GlennO
Old 06-16-2003, 07:05 AM

I have both of mine set up similar to GlennO's. I use an old &quot;Peterbilt&quot;(red emblem that shows through the grill ;D)bug screen that cannot stay on a truck for some reason, grommets torn out, or a tear along one edge or something like that. They are three wide or so, by three or four tall. I use &quot;sock it to 'ems&quot; to fasten it to the radiator rail along the top, then tuck it all the way down to the air holes in the lower bumper. When it gets dirty, just pull out at the bottom end, shake 'er out, and back goes, no problem. It's not made of metal, so it's easy handled and wont scratch paint if it's dragged across it.
Old 06-16-2003, 07:07 AM

I have both of mine set up similar to GlennO's. I use an old &quot;Peterbilt&quot;(red emblem that shows through the grill ;D)bug screen that cannot stay on a truck for some reason, grommets torn out, or a tear along one edge or something like that. They are three wide or so, by three or four tall. I use &quot;sock it to 'ems&quot; to fasten it to the radiator rail along the top, then tuck it all the way down to the air holes in the lower bumper. When it gets dirty, just pull out at the bottom end, shake 'er out, and back goes, no problem. It's not made of metal, so it's easy handled and wont scratch paint if it's dragged across it. As far as soaking bugs, try compressed air, Zep soap/cleaner or Mean Green, then a steam cleaner(if you can get to it)
Old 06-16-2003, 05:02 PM

Thanks for the tips. My only concern with the screen is whether or not it will restrict airflow and increase operating temps.<br><br>I will try the soap or Mean Green and see how it does.
Old 06-16-2003, 09:51 PM

I can't believe it. I totally agree with Gary. I also use window screen with a custom window screen frame that just sits in front of the radiatior. No overheating problems, just take screen out and hose it off. Now I will say that if I was pulling the Grapevine during mid day and it was a 105 degrees in Bakersfield, I probably would be tempted to remove the screen for the pull. However, having said that, and having traveled that route many times, I WOULD NOT choose that time of the day to make the climb. Of course I am talking about towing as I do pull a 10,000lb 5ver.<br><br>Roger
Old 06-17-2003, 02:12 AM

Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts

If you do try to blow the bugs out with water or air, just remember to blow them out the way they came in or you could trap them between the intercooler and radiator.
Old 06-17-2003, 03:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 1/16th mesh screen on my truck. It does a good job of keeping the bugs out, but does restrict air flow. High mountain passes on hot days, with a good load, cause the temps to go up, especially with the screen attached. A 10 to 20 degree increase, as close as I can tell. An 1/8th inch screen may work better, as reported by Bill Fleming over on the TDR.<br><br>There is a product called &quot;Bug be Gone&quot; which almost literally melts them off, to the point where the radiator can be cleaned with a garden hose.
Old 06-17-2003, 08:38 AM

I run the same fiberglass window screen on both my trucks. No overheat heating issues, with almost 100,000 miles combined. Make sure you completely cover from sides and top to bottom. The first screens that I put on were too small and the debris and bugs would get sucked underneath into the radiator.<br>my $0.0002
Old 06-17-2003, 06:57 PM

I'll try not to post but once this time Just a reminder, that when you use air or water(high pressure), blow from the engine side, as stated earlier. Also, dont get the angle to great across the fins, you could bend them over(real PIA to get'em straightened back up)