24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

clarification on replacing lift pump

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clarification on replacing lift pump

newbie here-
i would like to get clarification on replacing the lift pump with an electric pump. do you bypass the lift pump and leave in place or what? also , the walbro electric pump you use , what pressure does it push. reason i am asking is this, a few years ago i built a 72 chevy 4x4 for my son and changed it over to throttle body fuel injection. i had to install an electric fuel pump for this and bought a high pressure walbro from the local performance shop, long story short- we thought the pump was defective and replaced with new one only to find out that there was nothing wrong with the original. shop would not take back other even though it was never used. will this pump work? one last question is this- i have seen alot of talk about a "big hose" kit or something like that. is this the line going from the lift pump to the injector pump or something else? and what is the advantage of this? i have ordered a liquid filled fuel pressure gauge and plan on installing when it arrives by using the banjo bolt method, i ordered a 30 psi gauge.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Welcome to the site,
I run a single lift pump, spare is at the ready under the passenger seat.
Assuming you have a '98.5-'02 , your lift pump needs to provide around 90-100 gph at 15psi at idle. The big lines from the lift pump through the filter to the injector pump help supply fuel to lube and cool your injector pump. The stock banjo fittings are ok for a stocker. You're certainly on the right path with a lift pump fuel pressure gauge...it'll let you keep an eye on the fuel pressure.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:20 PM

You may want to consider the Aeromotive AEI-11203 pump. It runs 16 psi at idle, 10-12 psi at 65 mph and 8-10 psi WOT. It has been a very durable pump for me on the veggie side and as soon as my diesel campaign pump craps out, I'll add one of these as well. I have over 40,000 on this pump with no problems at all.

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...115+4294785077

Q
Old 01-21-2007, 10:43 PM

Some folks run two stock pumps set up so if one fails the other continues to supply fuel. Some have just replaced the stock with a holly blue mounted on the frame. Others opt for a FASS or a walbro like myself. Just type in Holley, or FASS, or Lp and you should find plenty reading.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:38 AM

well I bought the kit for mine from http://www.wideopendiesel.com/ take a look at the site, they also sell a regulator that you maybe can use on the pump that you all ready have. I removed the stock pump on mine but not the bracket. because the bracket blocks a oil passage on the other side. so you can not remove that. wide open also has some of the best prices around for the kit take a look.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:18 AM

thanks for the input, when you replace the pump with an electric setup- do you just bypass the lift pump? what i meen is do you disconnect it from the system and route the lines around it or leave in place and push fuel thru it?
sorry for the stooooopid questions, but i am new with diesels . i know my way around gas motors without a problem, but i have learned it is better to be clear on what you are doing prior to ripping stuff apart and then going - woooops. my truck is a 2000 3/4 ton 4x4 single cab bone stock workhorse. it has 170k miles , i only plan on putting on a bigger exhaust and quality air filter.it is automatic , 3.55 gears. my hot rodding days are behind me more the most part and i want dependability more than anything. thanks again for any input
bill
Old 01-23-2007, 03:54 AM

Well to do it right You should remove the stock lift pump. and put a Big line kit on at that time. Vulcan make a big line kit and so does Wideopendiesel . hope that helps ya
Old 01-23-2007, 02:19 PM

safirenfish; Please take the time to fill out your truck info, as it will help to know what you have so other members will be able to help you with advice. And "Welcome to the site, search and read all the threads that you can, as they are filled with info.