24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Check engine light and codes, What to do ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2003, 06:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check engine light and codes, What to do ?

Well, the engine did a little hiccup yesterday and the check engine light came on. I was in town so I stopped by Auto Zone and got the codes.<br>6 codes- last 2 were set twice <br>P1682- oil pump malfunction<br>P1693 Turbo charge control circuit<br>P0234- overboost x 2 ;D<br>TPS sensor x 2 <br><br>I am not too worried about TPS or over boost but the other 2 I have no idea about, Does anybody else?<br><br>When the check engine light was on I had no lack of power or extra smoke or anything. I let the truck sit for 30-45 min. while eating and the check engine light was off when re-started. <br> <br>I am going to by the local cummins shop and see what they have to say and disconnect batteries etc.<br><br>I'm baffled and thanks for any suggestions.<br>Copenhagenjunkie
Old 06-26-2003, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Check engine light and codes, What to do ?

I have the same porblem, kinda. I was pulling shrubs a few nights ago, and the next day my check engine light was on. I disconnected the batteries, left them off for about 40 minutes, and when I restarted the truck I had the light again. Made an appointment to take it to the shop, and the next day after the truck running and being shut off twice the light went out. Have no idea why, but I cancelled the appt. Now I am wondering if something like an overboost signal would trip the light for a few starts then go off if all is well? Any ideas? TIA<br><br>Tiny
Old 06-26-2003, 02:13 PM

Tiny, <br>I believe on our year the over boosting will not turn the check engine light on because I went for almost 2 months with the waste gate closed and the light never came on, it just threw a code.<br><br>I think my hiccup was the TPS and that's what made the light come on and it was the last code to be read.<br><br>go to autozone and they will scan your computer for free!
Old 06-26-2003, 03:46 PM
Administrator

[quote author=Copenhagenjunkie link=board=4;threadid=16371;start=0#153569 date=1056627937]<br>P1693 Turbo charge control circuit<br>Copenhagenjunkie<br>[/quote]<br><br>That is an incorrect description of that code.<br><br>It is actually &quot;DTC set in companion control module&quot; or something like that.<br><br>Just means that a code was also set in the ECM.<br><br>So, the overboost was set in the PCM as well as the ECM.<br><br>I have a great DRBII code site bookmarked at home, but I can't find it here (at work).<br><br>phox
Old 06-26-2003, 03:54 PM

[quote author=phox_mulder link=board=4;threadid=16371;start=0#153755 date=1056660371]<br>[quote author=Copenhagenjunkie link=board=4;threadid=16371;start=0#153569 date=1056627937]<br>P1693 Turbo charge control circuit<br>Copenhagenjunkie<br>[/quote]<br><br>That is an incorrect description of that code.<br><br>It is actually &quot;DTC set in companion control module&quot; or something like that.<br><br>Just means that a code was also set in the ECM.<br><br>So, the overboost was set in the PCM as well as the ECM.<br><br>I have a great DRBII code site bookmarked at home, but I can't find it here (at work).<br><br>phox<br>[/quote]<br><br>Phox,<br>I looked in our tech facts but really didn't find anything. If you gete a chance could you send the web address to me?<br>Thanks, Karl
Old 06-26-2003, 03:58 PM
Administrator

Yes, I'll try to remember to find it when I get home.<br><br><br>phox
Old 06-26-2003, 05:03 PM

I have a shop book for 2001s, they may be different for your truck and the codes are
234 = Turbo Boost exceeded the limit, Problem detected in turbocharger wastegate

1682 = Chargeing sys voltage to low

1693 = DTC detected in PCM/ECM or DTC detected in ecm, a code was set in the ECM and the PCM

Hope this helps Kevin
Old 06-26-2003, 06:32 PM

Well, I ended up going by the dealership and they looked up the codes. You guy's were right on. <br>#1682 The low volt is probably from when the alt went bad.<br>#234 The overboost was probably when I had the wastegate shut because of a hole in the acuator diaphram.<br><br>Just guessing I am assuming that the TPS code probably caused the Check Engine Light to come on and that was the hiccup I felt. This is first time the light has come on for engine related so I am kinda shooting the dark here. The light is off now but is the TPS something to be concerned with? I believe it is expensive and only available from the dealer. Will the APPS reset work for the TPS?<br>Thanks guys.<br><br>Copenhagenjunkie
Old 06-26-2003, 06:38 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

http://www.obdii.com/ for trouble codes
Old 06-26-2003, 07:00 PM

Thanks Shovelhead.
Old 07-14-2003, 09:01 AM

Re:Check engine light.

Now whenever the check engine light comes on I have no response from the engine when I try to accel which would verify the TPS code. I push the clutch in let it drop to idle and then touch accelerator pedal and she comes back to life. Sometimes I have to press the pedal several times though. The check engine light will go out if the the truck sits for a few hours although it was not out this morning. I also have no lack of power or throttle response with the light on. I drove 650 miles yesterday with 4 tons of hay from Nebraska with the light on.<br>So where's the TPS located? Couldn't find anything under black plastic throttle cover? Would doing the APPS reset work on my truck?<br>Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 07-14-2003, 12:24 PM

TPS

Any suggestions or is everyone working like I should be
Old 07-14-2003, 10:58 PM

Location: Friends Don&#039;t let Friends Drive Power Jokes!!!

Sounds like you might be getting voltage spikes from what they now call the APPS. If it is setting a code it is 80% prob going to be bad. But, without a decent scan tool and a way to get live data or to see it malfunction on a scope there is no way to be 100%. Refering back to my shop manual the APPS seems to be mounted on the back side of the plate/assembly were your throttle cable hooks up at on 1999 and later<br><br>Hope this helps..<br><br>Take Care,<br>FreightTrain Wayneo
Old 07-21-2003, 10:12 PM

My truck has been doing the same thing for about 40 000 miles!! lol

I finally broke down and took it in to have the codes pulled, it came up with a 1693 (companion code) and a 0121 which has to do with the apps voltage not being correct when throttle is less than 15% of WOT.

I have a new APPS coming so if it fixes the problem I will let you know.

Jason

2001 Quad cab 4x4 240 000km so far.
Old 07-22-2003, 07:44 AM

Location: Friends Don&#039;t let Friends Drive Power Jokes!!!

Hey Copenhagenjunki, Have you tryed doing a APPS relearn???<br><br>You can find it in here in tech facts... I have had to do it twice on mine for different problems...

Quick Reply: Check engine light and codes, What to do ?