24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Chasing the leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chasing the leak

So, after changing out my front crank seal (thanks for the help Alpine Ram)and all the work that goes along with it, I discovered by virtue of having everything cleaned off nice, that the majority of oil leaking from my engine is from between the gear housing and block just below the water pump. Now I get to tear things down again. Just wondering if anyone has encountered this problem. Thinking I might try cleaning it real good and running a bead of red RTV or similar product along that joint.
Old 05-05-2017, 05:53 PM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
While you had it apart, did you check the dowel pin/tab it? Were the case to block bolts loose? Unfortunately, I think mine is the same way, when I was fixing my KDP mess, I missed the fact that the loose case to block bolts had allowed the gasket to move and I think that is where my new leak is.
Old 05-06-2017, 03:19 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
Please take a good look at the place where the oil leaks.

Maybe you have a cracked case because the killer dowel pin came out, or you have loose timing case bolts.

In both cases a good bit of work is waiting for you.

A "Russian" repair I saw (and that worked) was to remove the front timing cover, loosen all the bolts of the timing case, move it forward about 1/4" and go wild with brake cleaner and some sealant, then torque all the bolts and reinstall the cover.
I can't really recommend that, but for a correct repair you will need to pull the injection pump and the camshaft, so this is really no small deal.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unfortunately it didn't occur to me to check those bolts because, at the time, I thought I was dealing with a bad front crank seal only. This project is snowballing out of control quickly. Thanks for the input guys.
Old 05-08-2017, 04:49 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
Fortunately it isn't that bad.

If you still have the seal install tool you will be able to remove the timing gear cover and check the bolts with a torque wrench.
Or, even easier, clean up the front end of the engine really good, apply a light dusting of baby powder and let the engine run for some seconds. You will see where the oil gets out because the baby powder sticks to the oil. If you don't see anything, some more run time on the engine and some more baby powder..