24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Changed my rear axle lube

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2003, 11:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changed my rear axle lube

I changed my rear axle lube to the Amzoil 75 W/90 synthetic. I had the straight 90 wt from the LE Alumasol oil, I tell you the difference in pouring is night and day even at 70 deg outside. I bet I will get better mileage right away!! I have the mag-hytec so I had to put in 8 qts. to fill it....<br><br>I was going to do he front axle today as well but it is fairly new so I might do it next year.<br>Anyway, I bet I will have no problem even in our winters. This winter wasn't very cold but it can get down to -20 here sometimes. 70 today and rain/snow by monday! wierd weather....<br><br>
Old 04-13-2003, 11:10 PM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:Changed my rear axle lube

Can I have the old LE? <br><br>Don~
Old 04-14-2003, 06:13 AM
Administrator

[quote author=Gary - KJ6Q link=board=4;threadid=13545;start=0#127752 date=1050287312]<br>Would be interested in hearing how well your LSD is functioning after the new lube has been in circulation a few miles...<br>[/quote]<br><br>I put it in my rear axle just about 100,000 miles ago with no modifier and has not made a noise or chirp. I pull up to 26,000 pounds on ocassion.
Old 04-14-2003, 03:41 PM

I went ahead and changed the fron fluid as well. Might as well since I smell of lube ..... I bet there is enough old LE with the modifier in it to make the LSD work enough. I am not too worried about it. the Amsoil says its made for LSD's so we'll see what happens. getting april showers right now so no slippery stuff til next winter.......
Old 04-14-2003, 04:34 PM

I've got a full synthetic PAO/ester GL-5 gear lube in my rear LSD, and based on performance this winter, it works well!<br><br>Usually you do not have to add external friction modifier to synthetic lubes, as esters are already friction modifiers.<br>A good quality synthetic should have a balanced formulation so performance is not sacrificed and the clutch packs won't chatter.
Old 04-14-2003, 07:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Amsoil offers 2 different gear lubes, one for non-LS and one for LS, instead of doing friction modifiers. ;D<br><br>Chris
Old 04-14-2003, 10:01 PM

IMHO, speaking as someone who understands proper LSD function and operation, the &quot;old&quot; Amsoil, supposedly without modifiers, works just fine in the LSD. I understand that others may have experienced difficulty. My applications have worked quite well.<br>We are currently using the newer fluid in our LSD's, but have a 15 year history with the other fluids.<br>Your results may vary. ;D ;D
Old 04-15-2003, 03:35 AM

If memory serves me right, the TDR mag did a dyno test on several rear end lubes, a couple of year ago. LE came out on top with a gain of 7 hp. Believe Amsoil was in that test also.
Old 04-15-2003, 07:10 AM

I switched to Amsoil, but still had to add 10 oz. of modifier to get the LSD to stop chattering.<br><br>Tim
Old 04-15-2003, 04:41 PM

[quote author=Gary - KJ6Q link=board=4;threadid=13545;start=0#128264 date=1050423797]<br>- it's just that the clutch packs in these LSD's are all over the map as to setup from the factory, and also apparently inconsistent clutch materials - [/quote]<br><br>I find it very easy to agree with this, as it would seem to explain my success, while others have had difficulty. It has surprised me that some knowledgeable folks out there have had difficulty with the supposedly same combination with which I have had no problem whatsoever. <br><br>When you make an unauthorized change, you must pay attention.
Old 07-11-2003, 05:42 PM

Qustion: If the LS works well with the Dino stuff, why change?<br>The Syn. is 4-6 timies($more?) and over the life of the truck, I doubt it will wear out, even under heavy loads. So, if the stuff gets some contamination anyway fron the clutches, why not just stick with the plain dino lube?<br>Is there a lube speclist out there who really knows? Again ???, it seems if you put Syn in, it is a crap shoot if your LS will ever work again. Who needs the agrevation?

Quick Reply: Changed my rear axle lube