24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Can I drive my truck like this

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I drive my truck like this

Airtex pump started dying on the way to work this morning. Pressure drops
to 0 psi for 20 seconds and then jumps to 15 psi for 30 seconds , then back again. I live about 20 miles away. Can I drive/limp the truck home with low to no fuel pressure if I go slow and "baby" it. Will it mess up my VP44 in the short
drive home ?
Old 12-31-2010, 09:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dieselcamper
Will it mess up my VP44 in the short
drive home ?
Perhaps. Have you read where anyone has measured how long it takes to kill a VP? Are you sure your fuel isn't low causing LP to suck air? Do you know your VP is good now? If good now, I'd tow or fix FP 1st. If bad, I'd drive it. Your choice. I have a house 20mi from town & have had to do the same calculations before. You don't want to buy a VP if you don't have to. VP = $1000 + 4 hr install.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:07 AM

Well , I made it home last night. Funny thing is, the truck ran fine even when
fuel pressure dropped to 0 psi for a couple minutes at a time. How many people out there with no fuel pressure gauges that are driving with a bad lift pump I will be replaceing the pump today with another Airtex since it is free
(under warrenty) then order a FASS next week. By the way ,the Airtex lasted 10 months.
Old 12-31-2010, 03:39 PM

do you know for sure its the lift pump and not your gauge? just wondering if you have checked the gauge. I have had my share of gauge issues. is it mechanical or electric? but a good fass or airdog are great. will your pump cycle if you bump your ignition? good luck hope its something simple. I have been happy with my fass150 Pump for last 4 years.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by DIESELWRKS
do you know for sure its the lift pump and not your gauge? just wondering if you have checked the gauge. I have had my share of gauge issues. is it mechanical or electric? but a good fass or airdog are great. will your pump cycle if you bump your ignition? good luck hope its something simple. I have been happy with my fass150 Pump for last 4 years.
I agree. The same thing happened to me though I could hear the FASS running. A quick smack on my crappy sending unit with a Crescent wrench and the pressure returned to 15 psi.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:54 AM

I have lost my lift pump twice and still have the original VP. The first time I did not know it failed because I did not have a fuel pressure gauge yet and the second time I was towing my 5ver and boat and was 400 km from home. I just didn't push it. Got my fingers crossed that it will live though.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:55 PM

You need move the lift pump away from the engine. that what most of the time cause it to go out. If goto http://www.genosgarage.com/ . they have a relocation kit . And they have LED LOW FUEL PRESSURE INDICATOR for a good price that will help to prevent have to replace vp pump
Old 01-02-2011, 11:10 PM

It took me a long time to figure out my lift pump was not working. Truck probably ran for couple years that way. I noticed that it would cut out, or act like it was starved of fuel when I went to pass someone or jump on the throttle. It was also extremely hard to start after a fuel filter change. I found this forum online and was promptly educated. Who knows how long it would have ran this way, I installed a new ddrp last fall and am now having problems with vp44, but truck is still running.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:17 AM

ddrp? is that what your calling liftpump? what kind of problems are you having with vp44
Old 01-03-2011, 05:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would you could make it home..
how much fuel do/did you have in the tank..sound like you getting low..
remember reading about the 1/4 problem?? not for me specifically, but in general. while I did develop the '1/4' problem. I determined the source as a dirty intake screen in the fuel pickup. since I clean this I haven't had the '1/4' problem.

fyi. since my electric fuel sender died. I placed the gauge with a vacuum/boost gauge. hay..I have one..call me cheap. but it works..I have seen 10in of vacuum for a short period of time..and that was months ago..did I damage something?? the jury is still out!! and I hope it stays out. incase some are wondering..this was with an AD100 setup. I don't the pump..just the pickup..CLEAN THEM..

-dkenny
Old 01-03-2011, 05:49 PM

I went through 2 airtex pumps within 5 months...I will never run them again on anything. I had the same as you, would move fuel, then not, would, then not. Usually I could hit it really hard with a hammer and have it work for a drive....

Glad to see you are stepping up and purchasing a Fass or AirDog. They will supply proper pressure and last a dang long time compared to those Airtex
Old 01-03-2011, 06:06 PM

Put the new pump on . It's the "old style" pump in an Airtex box. The last Airtex had 20 psi at idle and 13 psi at WOT when it worked. This new pump
has 12 psi at idle and I can pull it down to 6 psi at WOT Gonna order the FASS tonight and keep this one as an emergency spare.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Dieselcamper
Put the new pump on . It's the "old style" pump in an Airtex box. The last Airtex had 20 psi at idle and 13 psi at WOT when it worked. This new pump
has 12 psi at idle and I can pull it down to 6 psi at WOT Gonna order the FASS tonight and keep this one as an emergency spare.
Sorry to hear about that, dang things

At least you'll soon get a Fass though!! Just baby the truck and don't pull down the pressure until your Fass is installed
Old 01-03-2011, 07:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
did you clean/replace the fine pickup screen??
if not..no surprise..I've seen 10in VACUUM with an AD100..
YES THAT MUCH..pressure gauge was mount on the old filter housing without the filter..

CLEAN THE PICKUP SCREEN..or bypass it!
it took 1 can of brake cleaner just to get too the screen when I cleaned mine..yes a whole can!..and that was after I banged out the crud.
this might seem strong, but I'm not the first owner..if you are and know you've only had clean fuel. this might not apply.

-dkenny