24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

(CAD) Dana 60 inner Seal Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
(CAD) Dana 60 inner Seal Replacement

OK...looks like i am going to get to help a friend out with this. BUT i am going to Texas to do it..so time will be tight. I know how to pull the axles out with the hubs...that is not a big deal...but that is as far as i have gotten into this axle.

I hear the Carrier has to come out to replace the seals on the CAD D-60. BUT how do you get that half shaft out from the CAD? The manual (which i have been reading the last few days) doesn’t really come out and say. Im guessing you have to take the VAC CAD motor apart to get to it?

Do you have to have a case spreader to get the carrier out? I know it calls for the Dana 80 to have one...but i have pulled carriers out without using one.

Any tips tricks and pics someone might have would be helpful. ALSO any parts that we will need. Thanks!

After i get done with it...i will do a write up and post it up here....
Old 09-13-2007, 11:21 AM

pull the passenger side outer shaft as normal. then remove the CAD motor and you can slide the inner one form there.

im not sure on the spreader on the 60.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by whitebuffalo
pull the passenger side outer shaft as normal. then remove the CAD motor and you can slide the inner one form there.

im not sure on the spreader on the 60.
Does the CAD motor use a o-ring or gasket for a seal?

Is there a C-clip in the carrier i need to remove on the inner half shaft first?

I dont want a situation where i can get the seal out.....but cant get it back in because i didnt bring the right tools with me.....

Thanks!
Old 09-13-2007, 05:58 PM

ALSO...any other special tools i might need?
Old 09-13-2007, 08:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
u wont need a spreader, and no clip
Old 09-14-2007, 08:34 AM

Sweet...this looks to be a straight fwd R&R......thanks for the help.....
Old 09-16-2007, 07:46 PM

i think it has a gasket, i just use a little RTV (i use ultra black). and no clip. no special tools required
Old 09-17-2007, 06:02 PM

Boo-yeah! Check this out.....

http://dieselpowerman.tripod.com/Fro...xle%20Tech.htm
Old 09-18-2007, 03:59 AM

Thats an awesome link, really explains pretty much everything. One thing I dont understand, is there nothing supporting the passenger side axle shaft except the seal. Mine flops around all over the place, but the seal is bad.

Keep us updated Diesel-Dan, I'm gonna have to do mine real soon. Not looking forward to it.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:28 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
The pass. side axle shaft is supported by the fork of the CAD clutch and the sliding part when it's assembled. The outer half of it is supported by the inner half. (There's a bearing in some of them looking quite like a clutch center bearing. There should be no visible slop.
The procedure described in the link is good, couldn't have written it better myself. I used a small air grinder with a brush wheel that is bigger than the grinder body itself to clean the axle tubes. I zip-tied the lever to the run position, shoved the grinder into the tube with the air hose as far as I needed it and then connected the air. The grinder did it's little happy grinder dance in the tube and I slowly pulled it out with the hose until I could grab the grinder housing. Results in a nice clean axle tube, a beaten up grinder and a very dusty shop.

HTH

AlpineRAM
Old 09-18-2007, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by AlpineRAM
The pass. side axle shaft is supported by the fork of the CAD clutch and the sliding part when it's assembled. The outer half of it is supported by the inner half. (There's a bearing in some of them looking quite like a clutch center bearing. There should be no visible slop.
The procedure described in the link is good, couldn't have written it better myself. I used a small air grinder with a brush wheel that is bigger than the grinder body itself to clean the axle tubes. I zip-tied the lever to the run position, shoved the grinder into the tube with the air hose as far as I needed it and then connected the air. The grinder did it's little happy grinder dance in the tube and I slowly pulled it out with the hose until I could grab the grinder housing. Results in a nice clean axle tube, a beaten up grinder and a very dusty shop.

HTH

AlpineRAM
Im going to look on YouTube for that vid!
Old 09-18-2007, 01:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AlpineRAM

HTH

AlpineRAM

Cool idea, I bet it worked like a charm too...
Old 09-18-2007, 06:46 PM

I couldn't get my carrier out with out a case spreader when I did my axle seals. Apparently i wasn't so lucky
Old 11-23-2010, 04:17 PM

I have mine apart now, axles out, and picking up a spreader tomorrow. My carrier wouldn't come out either.