24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

A/C clutch, is it replaceable?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 09:45 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
A/C clutch, is it replaceable?

I found that my A/C does not work this year. Still had refrigerant in it, so I jumped the low pressure switch while I had my service manifold on it. The clutch still didn't engage so I started looking into the electrical side of things. The A/C clutch fuse (10 amp) was blown in the fuse panel under the hood. I replaced it and tried again. The new fuse instantly blew when I turned it on. Third fuse did the same thing. Wiring at a glance looked OK, but I'll be inspecting that in depth this weekend.

Is the clutch replaceable, or do I have to get a new compressor?
Old 06-16-2012, 04:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes the clutch is replacable.
A puller is need and it is a special one that threads onto it.

Unplug it first and try one more fuse, to make sure the wiring isn't shorted.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by j-fox
Yes the clutch is replacable.
A puller is need and it is a special one that threads onto it.

Unplug it first and try one more fuse, to make sure the wiring isn't shorted.
I have seen the coils in these clutches burn up more than once. A lot of times it was overpressure due to someone overcharging the system. The clutch would just keep slipping and burn up the coil. If you pun on a new one check the pressures with a manifold.

Rick
Old 06-17-2012, 09:24 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
So where do I find a replacement clutch? Napa and autozone only have the compressors (with clutch), but not the clutch by itself.

Also, would this be something better left to an A/C shop, or something I could/should do myself?
Old 06-19-2012, 12:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jrs_dodge_diesel
So where do I find a replacement clutch? Napa and autozone only have the compressors (with clutch), but not the clutch by itself.

Also, would this be something better left to an A/C shop, or something I could/should do myself?
The only place I could find just the clutch was Chrysler, although a local AC shop may sell you one. Cost was @$160, approx 2 years ago.
I did the job myself, wasn't too difficult, although I did remove the compressor to make it easier. Couple guys online said it could be done on the truck, but my system was already discharged anyway, so removing it wasn't an issue.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:48 PM

did you figure out your problem? I just had a garage replace the compressor on my truck and I am waiting to see what the bill will be. On top of this I still need to find a wiring problem with the compressor. I have a hard switch wired in. Sucks having to toggle the switch so the AC does not freeze solid..
Old 07-04-2012, 03:09 PM

The clutch went out on my old truck, we looked for one in the aftermarket , and could not find one. After pricing one at the dealer, we just replaced the whole compressor and had a warranty to go with it. The cost of evac/recharge on the system wasn't an issue with me, since my husband is a tech and did the work himself. However I do know the bearing is available, I have a spare that we ordered before we discovered uneven wear and broken springs on the old clutch.