24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Burnt Electrical smell

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 07:24 PM
G_T

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Burnt Electrical smell

For the last couple of days I have been smelling a burnt electrical smell. At first, I thought it might be the clutch or possibly a stuck brake caliper - it's that kind of burnt smell.

Yesterday, I started it cold and when idling I could immediately smell it (a/c off). The smell seems to be strongest under the hood near the passenger side. I think that it may be the alternator... anyone encountered something similiar? Everything is in working order other than this smell.

I hate to tear into this thing - it's the one vehicle that I don't have any manuals for. Can anyone tell me off hand if there are any special/wierd tools needed? (Like, if i remove the alternator do I have to remove the pulley /etc.).

Thanks,
GT
Old 04-13-2005, 03:22 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
Shop manual can be bought at www.techauthority.com
Have a look at the codes if any. Other than the alternator it could also be the AC clutch slipping and burning up since you said clutch or brake like smell.

HTH

AlpineRAM
Old 04-13-2005, 07:58 AM

Well the only things that I could think of that are on the side of the truck is the alternator, A/C pump, and the brain box.

I would lean toward the alternator more...

Yesterday, I started it cold and when idling I could immediately smell it (a/c off). The smell seems to be strongest under the hood near the passenger side. I think that it may be the alternator... anyone encountered something similiar? Everything is in working order other than this smell.
Even G_T said the A/C was off... So the clutch should be disenaged. Unless the DEFroster was on...

I would take the alternator off and have it tested quick. While its off and out of the truck take a quick sniff of the alternator and see if you smell burnt something... Also this can be done in the truck to but it has all kinds of smells... Typical diesel...
Old 04-18-2005, 02:39 PM

Had this same type of smell several months ago and after several days of chaseing the odor finaially located it.Was haveing a headlight switch meltdown,pretty common in 98.5,& 99 Got a replacement kit from Dodge at about $48.00.Switch appeared OK but connector was melted change out is not bad just takes time,be carefull with heat applied to shrink sleeve especially on small wires also do it one wire at a time as wire colors in kit may not match.Dash bezel just pops off to get at switch.May or may not be the problem good luck
Old 04-18-2005, 07:22 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
Mopar1973man- on my 98 the AC clutch will cycle on and off in all positions of the selector. (some PCM trick to keep it lubricated AFAIK)-had that kind of smell when the clutch was slipping due to oil sturation from leaky front engine oil seal)
Burnt rubber smell on 13FOX's truck was caused by AC clutch bearings sticking.
Alternator is a likely cause as well.
Seek for the source and repair immediately! Where there's smoke there's fire!

AlpineRAM