24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

bunch of codes

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bunch of codes

Have a problem with the cummins, was pulling a load of calves to the sale today. Got to the top of the mountain with no problems, started down the other side and started coasting. Went to give it some throttle and no go.

Thought i might have a plugged filter, changed that and still did'nt fix the problem.

Truck starts and idles good will take throttle to 1200 rpms, then it cuts out, jumps,bucks, no response.

I have unhooked the edge comp and went back to factory, still does the same thing. will start and run rough for a couple of minutes then levels out. give it throttle and it will spit,sputter and rev up every 5 seconds and back to sputtering.

codes are P0237, 0238,0251,0252,0253,1688,1689. Any one want to give me the bad news.

was able to drive it back home as long as i kept it 1200 rpms or under.Anything over that and it spit and sputtered.

Fuel pressure never went below 10psi.

truck is in my sig.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by 2 busy
Have a problem with the cummins, was pulling a load of calves to the sale today. Got to the top of the mountain with no problems, started down the other side and started coasting. Went to give it some throttle and no go.

Thought i might have a plugged filter, changed that and still did'nt fix the problem.

Truck starts and idles good will take throttle to 1200 rpms, then it cuts out, jumps,bucks, no response.

I have unhooked the edge comp and went back to factory, still does the same thing. will start and run rough for a couple of minutes then levels out. give it throttle and it will spit,sputter and rev up every 5 seconds and back to sputtering.

codes are P0237, 0238,0251,0252,0253,1688,1689. Any one want to give me the bad news.

was able to drive it back home as long as i kept it 1200 rpms or under.Anything over that and it spit and sputtered.

Fuel pressure never went below 10psi.

truck is in my sig.
P0237 (M) Map Sensor Voltage Too Low MAP sensor voltage input below the minimum acceptable
voltage.
P0238 (M) Map Sensor Voltage Too High MAP sensor voltage input above the maximum
acceptable voltage.
P0251 (M) Fuel Inj. Pump Mech. Failure Fuel
Valve Feedback Circuit
Problem sensed with fuel circuit internal to fuel injection
pump.
P0253 (M) Fuel Injection Pump Fuel Valve
Open Circuit
Problem sensed with fuel circuit internal to fuel injection
pump.
P1688 (M) Internal Fuel Injection Pump
Controller Failure
Internal problem within the fuel injection pump. Low
power, engine derated, or engine stops.
P1689 (M) No Communication Between ECM
and Injection Pump Module
Data link circuit failure between ECM and fuel injection
pump. Low power, engine derated, or engine stops.
It definitely looks like it's time for a new VP44...
However, it has been my experience that when you get that many codes all at once, it is very probable that the issue is electrical, IE a bad ground somewhere in the system. Might want to start there...
Old 12-04-2010, 07:21 PM

changed both batteries a couple of weeks ago, i know they were corroded pretty bad. cleaned all the terminals when batteries were replaced. have dialetric grease on all connections.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by 2 busy
changed both batteries a couple of weeks ago, i know they were corroded pretty bad. cleaned all the terminals when batteries were replaced. have dialetric grease on all connections.
That's not always enough. Check to make sure the battery wires are not corroded internally. Also check and clean all grounds in engine compartment, there are about a dozen or so. Check wiring harness connectors at ECM and VP44. A bad ground can wreak havoc on the electronics...
It's cheaper than replacing the VP44 at any rate. I do remember several instances of people replacing the injection pump only to find out it was not the culprit, and at about $1000, it's not an easy pill to swallow.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:29 PM

i plan on checking all the grounds and pulling the map and doing a apps reset just to be sure.

I had some trouble with the edge connections at times, a little jiggle to the box would usually jar ir enough to correct. This time it did'nt correct it.

I have unhooked the edge just to rule it out.

I probably wont peirce the new pump if i wind up needing another.