24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brakes?

When i first start my truck in the morning whenever cold or not cold out my brakes are really touchy. If i even touch them my rear tires lock up right away. Anyone ever have this problem?
Old 12-01-2004, 09:53 PM

Kinda. On mine its my right rear wheel and usually only after a rain. I learned to drive down the driveway with the brake half way pushed and the wheel is back to normal by the end of the driveway (about 70feet)
Old 12-02-2004, 12:15 AM

Check for leaky wheel seals or wheel cyls. Remove your drums and check the springs, wh cyls and seals for leakage, and inspect the linings for cracks or crystalizing. If it is a hi miler, check the backing plates rubbing blocks that the shoe rides on for grooves worn in. They will cause the shoe to get grabby or stay on after brakes are released.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:23 AM

Check for leaky wheel seals or wheel cyls. Remove your drums and check the springs, wh cyls and seals for leakage, and inspect the linings for cracks or crystalizing. If it is a hi miler, check the backing plates rubbing blocks that the shoe rides on for grooves worn in. They will cause the shoe to get grabby or stay on after brakes are released.
Old 12-02-2004, 03:21 AM

Mine does the very same thing. I've learned to do what Rabbit states below. It only does it first thing in the morning for the first 50-feet or so and then it's gone for the rest of the day. So I haven't really invested the time to fine out what the problem is.

Originally posted by Rabbit
Kinda. On mine its my right rear wheel and usually only after a rain. I learned to drive down the driveway with the brake half way pushed and the wheel is back to normal by the end of the driveway (about 70feet)
Old 12-02-2004, 04:09 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine does the same thing. I've learned in wet or damp weather to just drag the brakes for a mile or two and it stops.
Old 12-02-2004, 07:05 AM

torquedcummins,

Touchy rears on damp days are not uncommon as a few have posted. My experiance is "shoes" as the remedy. Non-metallic.

Because yours seems to be 'all the time" I lean towards Hemi Cat's post, seals or cylinders.

I've had seals go bad within 7 months of replacement on the Dana and make a real mess of the shoes and of course, grabby touchy rear brakes.

It only takes a few minutes to pull the drums and check, heck if they leak real bad you can see the diff oil all around the back of the drum. (mine splattered all inside the wheel well, no brainer).

If you find this to be the cause, it's "baby needs new shoes".

She's a 2000. Time for shoes anyway??

Good luck.