24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Brake Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 06:50 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake Question

Got a couple questions for yall. Just changed the front and rear pads on the truck today. Fronts were worn pretty well and while the rears were ok I figured that while I was all dirty I'd go ahead and change them. I put wagner heavy duty's up front and the cheap ones in the rear. Do I have to adjust the rear calipers after changing the pads? Also, the pedal seems a little mushier than it did before. I drove the truck for about a mile in stop and go traffic and it still seems spongy. The truck definately stops better but the pedal just feels different. Reservoir is full to the top. Thanks for the help yall.
Old 03-09-2005, 07:09 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I take it you have rear wheel discs.
If so they will adjust themselves.
Old 03-09-2005, 07:11 PM
Banned

Yup. Got them new fangled disc thingys. Thanks man.
Old 03-09-2005, 07:23 PM

Blue?, you have discs in the rear? mine doesn't.
Old 03-09-2005, 07:31 PM
Banned

Yeah. I'm technically an 01.5. First year they started putting discs on the rear. Changed front and rear out in 2 hours.
Old 03-09-2005, 07:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I find the same thing every time I do a brake job. I chalk it up to the pads being flat, and the rotors having groves (even thought they may be very slight). After a few miles, and the pads wear into the groves, all is well.

All of this is of course if you have not cracked open a bleeder. If the mushyness is bothering you, have the rotors turned.
Old 03-09-2005, 09:18 PM

It's a good thing to always turn the rotors before you put new pads on the truck. It will go a lot longer before you need another brake job. 4 wheel disc's are awesome. Just pop off the pads, slip off the rotors, and slap new ones on. So easy!

Eric
Old 03-09-2005, 09:23 PM

Tell me about it. I did my drums the night before last. I'm small and was wishing I had a guy like Scotty around to get those retainer springs back on. I'm still sore from that job.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:51 AM

Tyler...Did you push the pistons back into the calipers? If so then the mushy is from you pushing air into the lines from pushing the piston in. Iam certain that if you bleed the brakes out...Starting with the RR LR RF LF. The mush will do away.

I PASS GAS,
Try doing drums EVERYDAY. When ever the "Bigger Trucks" came in I always had unless the guy that has been working for 15 yrs was there. Nobody else could do them.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:53 AM
Banned

Didn't have to bleed them. Turns out it was all in my head. Pedal is rock hard and the truck stops on a dime. Amazing what 4 new brakes will do.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:57 AM

Did you finnaly go with rotors too or just a pad slap?
Old 03-12-2005, 07:29 PM

Tyler...Did you push the pistons back into the calipers? If so then the mushy is from you pushing air into the lines from pushing the piston in.

Where did the air come from? Calipers are full of brake fluid
Old 03-12-2005, 07:35 PM
Banned

Didn't get the rotors. I could barely afford the pads. I guess I should have done the brakes before the injectors but oh well. Guess that'll be my next paycheck. For now, the truck is up on blocks while I polish the rims. Probably won't be able to drive it again until wednesday. Oh well. That'll be the perfect time because by then I'll have my injectors in and can report on the mileage on my road trip.
Old 03-12-2005, 10:09 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I have over 200k on both my trucks and have never turned or replaced the rotors. At least five sets of pads though. I would never turn the rotors on these rigs, not much more money to just replace them. If they are warped turning them rarely helps, the warp will come back. If they are scored usually too much material has to come off making them below spec or thinning them out so they overheat and warp.

Never heard of compressing the caliper cylinder causing air in the system, where would the air come from?

Since upgrading to GMC 1 ton cylinders (Napa #4637337) three years ago I haven't had to replace any front pads now that the rears are doing their fair share of the work.
Old 03-13-2005, 10:55 PM

inside of a caliper is a piston with a boot around it and around that piston which allows it to move freely is a rubber band peice....Air gaps are around that piston which when the piston is pushed abck inside the caliper it will grab the air with it therefor puttin the air in the lines....I worked at Brake Check and currently at NTB and my Lead techs will say the same thing. And plus with getting brakes hot the fluid will heat up there for making air pockets within the fluid. which causes mushy.

Quick Reply: Brake Question