24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

bouncy bouncy truck bed

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any luck finding out what was causing this? I need to fix mine also.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:08 AM

I still have no idea. After a front end alignment, rotate and balance, having the rear drums turned it went away slightly but is back again. I don't know what to try next short of filling the bed with mulch!
Old 08-24-2005, 07:12 AM

Did you replace the drums recently? My replacement drums do not seem to be balanced since there is no weights or material removed. I think I might have my drums balanced to see if it helps at all.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:29 AM

No, The previous owner replaced the drums at the dealer before. I have had the truck for 3 years and just recently had the drums turned.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:32 AM

Do these drums appear to have been balanced?
Old 08-24-2005, 08:20 AM

So far as the wheels not holding weights, I got a new set of tires once..........and the tire shop could not get the weights to stay on the wheels. They balanced them 3 times, then took the tires off and to another local tire shop to try and get them to balance them.......same thing.......matter of fact, I saw one weight fall off when the guy brought my truck around front. Others would sling off going down the road. The problem ended up being a mismatch between the tire and wheel. Although the tire worked fine on other wheels, it didn't allow a wheel weight to seat properly. Ended up going to a different tire and no problems.

So far as drums, I replaced mine with some aftermarket ones and I also noticed the lack of machine marks indicating balance. The rear of my truck would bounce.......so I took them back and got my stockers turned and put back on.

You might want to see if you can find a place that can balance a tire while on the truck. That type of balancing would take care of drum imbalance as well as tire imbalance. Let us know what you find out.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:46 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What kind of air pressure is everyone running? Try knocking the rears down to about 40 psi. It helped out with my bounce problem.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:08 AM

Well, after a brief improvement after rotate, balance, rotor turn, drum turn, the bounce is back again. I'm thinking about swapping the tires and wheels off dad's truck for a while to see if it's a bent wheel or bad tire. other than that, I'm back to square one, and the dealer was no help.
Old 09-02-2005, 05:11 PM

Well, the anitfreeze thing is a bad idea......you could get a fine if you have a flat and it leaks out.

I have used bb's in the tires of my toy (see sig) with great success. My 39.5" out of round swampers ride like a car at highway speeds now.

Have you considered maybe a rear end problem ?? such as a pinion gear that is loose ? or maybe a carrier bearing issue if you have a 2 piece d/s ??

Sometimes, these will only give issues at certain rpm/load combo's.

Does it do it at the same speed/rpm if you have a load on it ??
Old 09-02-2005, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by walexa

You might want to see if you can find a place that can balance a tire while on the truck. That type of balancing would take care of drum imbalance as well as tire imbalance. Let us know what you find out.
If you go this route, you will have to get them balanced every time you want to rotate them.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:54 PM

I think I mostly fixed the shake in my truck. I found that the input shaft bearing in the transfer case was bad. I rebuilt the transfer case with new bearings and installed it tonight. The truck rides much better, but still not perfect.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:43 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by jdeereboy
I have the EXACT same problem with my truck. It has been driving me crazy for almost two years!!!!

This is what I have done so far:
Installed new U-joints- Did not improve
Had drive shaft balanced-No improvement
Had wheels aligned- No improvement
Rotated wheels over and over again- No improvement
Removed 6" lift kit from truck, installed new tires with Dyna Beads (balancing beads), installed new Bilstein shocks-No Improvement
Had wheels aligned-No improvement
Replaced one brake drum since it seemed to be warped-Some improvement
Replaced same brake drum again as it was out of balance. I know this by raising the truck up from the frame and letting rear axle hang free while letting the rear wheels turn with the engine at idle and trans in 5th gear. The side of the axle with this drum installed bounced up and down. New drum improved ride some. Bed still bounces.

I am still scratching my head on this one. I hope you can figure it out for me
The new drums I installed are aftermarket ones from Advance Auto. I know these are not balanced since there is no grinding marks or a weight added to balance. I added additional balancing beads as this should compensate for a slightly out of balance drum. But, if the drum is out of balance enough it could flex and cause it to hit the brake shoes.

Did you replace your brake drums with aftermarket ones?

Perhaps you may have had a belt shift in the tire.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:31 AM

Rear end shakes

Well I have had this problem for the last year plus . Re balanced twice drive shaft, tires, lowered and replaced center bearing. tires balanced many times. Still shakes badly. Interested in the other options that were mentioned. Tires will be replaced soon. Didn't get any movement in the rear dif. But not going to spend thousands of dollars on dollarships that haven't got a clue on how to fix the problem.
The engine has to be fixed first still noooooo good from new. And it is a leaker.
Buying a mid size truck next with a nice CAT motor in it. When this junk gets fixed.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by walexa
Just remember that if you do that, the balance is only good until you take the wheel off unless you get it back on w/ the same studs thru the exact same wheel holes.

Originally Posted by TRCM
Well, the anitfreeze thing is a bad idea......you could get a fine if you have a flat and it leaks out.
Just use the non-toxic RV plumbing antifreeze. It's usually that pretty PINK color. At least it's inside a nice black tire.