24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Blowing oil out the fill cap

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 08:12 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blowing oil out the fill cap

Just got back from a 3300 mile trip and noticed at each stop that I was dripping engine oil near where the rear main would be. But a look under the hood showed a flow of oil coming from the filler cap down onto the valve cover and then just running to the back of the engine. I recall some time ago seeing a TSB about this, but I lost the link and could never find it again. Anyone recall that TSB or have any suggestions on how to stop it? Not a lot of oil, just enough to cause a small puddle every time I stop now even for only a moment or so.
Thanks,
AJG617
Old 03-06-2007, 09:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There should not be pressure up there...oil just drips over everything and I don't think should be filling the rocker arm area. Is your breather tube plugged, or the valleys which return the oil down to the pan clogged...you shouldn't have that much oil up there. I can take the fill cap off while the truck is running and no oil flows out.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:30 AM

Oh...did this just start? Have you owned the truck for all 75k miles, or is it new to you?
Old 03-06-2007, 12:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Hillcountry
Oh...did this just start? Have you owned the truck for all 75k miles, or is it new to you?
Bought the truck a year and a half ago with 60K miles on it. Problem started on trip down south the week before last. I've always had trace amounts of oil with dust caked on on top of the valve cover but this was the first time I ever noticed any puddles or the fresh oil on the cover. Does not seem to occur when running truck locally or for short periods on highway. Only after highway run of some length. Truck runs fine otherwise. For all the little puddles, the oil was on the full mark on the dipstick after 3300 miles of trailering, so I don't think I lost much. No noticeable blowback either.

Oil returns normally, no plugs in the drain holes. Where is the breather tube on the Cummins?

regards,
AJG617
Old 03-06-2007, 01:22 PM

If you look at the front of the engine, on the driver's side you can look down and see the timing cover. At the top of the timing cover, facing the radiator is a 3 inch diameter, hockey puck looking thing with a hose which comes out of the top. the hose usually then u-bends and ends up pointing down into a small black bottle. this vents the crank-case because of blowby.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Hillcountry
If you look at the front of the engine, on the driver's side you can look down and see the timing cover. At the top of the timing cover, facing the radiator is a 3 inch diameter, hockey puck looking thing with a hose which comes out of the top. the hose usually then u-bends and ends up pointing down into a small black bottle. this vents the crank-case because of blowby.
Thanks Hill, I'm going to have a look at that as soon as it warms up a bit (1 degree at 11:30 this morning). Sheesh when I left FL on Friday, it was 88. I think my body has to adjust a bit. Maybe the truck does too