24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

blow bye, loss of power, oil out the dipstick, missing at idle, opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blow bye, loss of power, oil out the dipstick, missing at idle, opinions please

I have owned this 24 valve 2000 one ton for 11 months/20k miles. currently has 157k miles. brand new vp44 when I bought it.

not the truck in sig.

no gauges or signs of gauges from previous owner. no performance chips or aftermarket stuff, all stock.

I do not know previous owner or the story of the truck before purchase.

Truck had slightly noticeable "blow by" shooting out the oil cap at purchase.

Truck now spits oil out the dipstick tube, has about 75% power from stock on a good day. Truck has been hard to start when hot for sometime now.
Uses about 2 quarts of oil every 1000 miles. getting kinda expensive.
about 11 mpg unloaded.

in the past week the truck began to idle rough and "miss" at low rpm's.

I pulled the injectors and had them pop tested on a bench--- all good but #2. replaced nozzle on #2 with a used stock nozzle and #2 passed test as well.

I have not re-installed the injectors yet as I have been looking for rubber O-rings and copper washers. Those things are hard to find without ordering in my area. Will adjust valves before putting it back together. Im hoping the valves and injectors fix the rough idle/miss.

Is there an elephant in the room that I am missing? I have been told that a complete engine rebuild may be in my near future, anybody have a second opinion? rebuild seems kinda early in life at 157k miles.

I am not educated in "blow by" issues other than I know there is not supposed to be pressure in oil. Is there a small possibility that I have a single gasket of some sort out?

any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the truck has had any sort of maintenance done on it, that seems low mileage to have those sort of issues. If the injectors are ok, I'd say you have broken rings and/or a melted piston(s). I'd start looking for a replacement drop in at a wrecker.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It sounds like you may have a scuffed cylinder wall. Use of a Fram oil filter can cause the piston cooling jets to become plugged with RTV from that filter. The result is scuffed walls in #5 and/or #6. See if you can locate a bore scope to check these 2 cylinders.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:39 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
One would think that w/all the Fram problems they would have gone bye bye. Lately I can't tell you how many articles I've read about people using Fram and it leading to problems.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
low miles means nothing. parts fail and some people abuse there stuff then send it down the road to the next guy
Old 04-23-2011, 05:02 PM

What was the specific issue on the #2 injector? Just low pressure, hung open, ****-eyed spray pattern? A bad injector could the cause of your troubles (melted piston), or the result of issues (FOD banging the tip). Track down a compression tester and have the engine checked, you'll find your weak cylinder.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:46 PM

Check turbo, have seen them cause a lot of blowby and power loss. Turbo puts compressed air into cranckcase through drain line. To check turbo is pretty simple. Worth a shot before teardown.
If you have a scuffed cylinder wall you should have metal in the oil. Pull out dipstick and look at it in sunlight or a bright light. If blowby is puffing at idle you have one or two cylinders bad. Good luck
Old 04-23-2011, 08:19 PM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Just for the heck of it I would pull the oil filter, cut it open and see if there are any metal filings in it caused by cylinder, bearing or other metal items. There might be aluminum as well from a piston.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:51 PM

A vacum pump leak can cause similar symptoms. The pump sucks a vacum but sends the exhaust into the front gear train and can pressurize the crankcase.