24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Blow buy, or oily underpan

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2003, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Blow buy, or oily underpan

I stumbled on this site an was very impressed with the responses given on different posts. I will be buying a 2500 diesel truck soon. I looked at one that had 65,000 miles. Underneath oil covered the transmission line and was dripping from them. Should I be seeing any oil or oil blow buy under the engine at the front trans lines? Havn't had the pleasure to own a diesel yet and don't want to buy the wrong one. Started up after two cranks and didn't smoke. The year was a 1999. I hope to her from somebody and please let me now if any oil should be found under the engine.
Thank you all
Old 12-28-2003, 07:59 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Thumbs down

If you see oil dripping under the truck, that's bad. Oil at the front of the engine on pre '00 trucks is often due to the KDP (killer dowel pin - do a search on KDP for more info) coming loose and getting punched out the side of the timing case. It's not unusual to see a nickel or quarter size spot on the pavement under the breather tube when you've parked the truck after working it hard though. You should not see oil dripping or fumes blowing out the breather tube.
Old 12-28-2003, 08:34 PM

Can you tell where its coming from? On mine, the crankcase breather bottle tends to puke blow-by everywhere but the bottle and the gets blown all over the front suspension. I know for a fact that mine is not the only one to do this and it has not proved to be anything other than an annoyance yet (driveway spots and people pointing it out to me).

Although I haven't done either yet, I know of two ways to remedy this, you can either remove the bottle and extend the hose, or there is a TSB where the dealer can relocate the whole assembly behind the starter (somewhat complicated, involves removing the injector pump)

To get back to your question though, if you can tell if its just the breather bottle I don't think youd have to much to worry about. Just make sure its not the KDP like wannadiesel mentioned.

Jeff
Old 12-28-2003, 09:15 PM

I just changed the oil on my 92 this afternoon and the pueck tube had some oil in it, had some on the pan, but was only 1/2 quart low, so for 3500 miles, I think I'm getting out lucky. But stop and look at it, the diesels don't have a crank case valve to release the pressure, it's got to go some where, the piston rings will not seal it all, if they did, you'd have pretty oil each time. I run my truck pretty hard at times, so I don't think 1/2 quart is to bad.
Old 12-30-2003, 01:41 PM

Originally posted by wannadiesel
If you see oil dripping under the truck, that's bad. ....... You should not see oil dripping or fumes blowing out the breather tube.
My 01 has always wafted a little smoke out of the tube. My bottle is long gone and my tube has been extended to the transmission support and turned down. It's not a steady stream of smoke or fumes but you may see some come up in the headlights at night after you stop.

You didn't mention if it was a 4wd. Sometimes they will puke oil out the vent tube and all over the front axle. This eventually works its way back on the truck.

If the blow by tube on your truck just runs straight down with no bottle on it, you will get a pretty good bit of oil residue that will work its way back on the undercarriage.
Old 01-09-2004, 06:02 AM

Thanks for all the information, I passed on the truck and I'm looking for one with lower miles
Old 01-09-2004, 12:48 PM

FYI, 65 K miles is NOTHING on these trucks.....

I realize you probably passed becuase of the oil but just wanted to make sure that u know a truck with 65k miles isnt too many....
Old 01-09-2004, 01:01 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Im not sure what year of truck you are looking at, but I understand that the mid 90's trucks have a problem with a leaking O-ring between the vacuum pump and the power steering pump.
(Mine included).

This leaking O-ring allows engine oil to escape and will create a puddle of oil on the ground just in front of the front pumpkin (Assuming its a 4x4).

Now, I dont know if this will ever be enough of a leak to coat the underside of a truck with oil. If the bottom of the truck is covered in oil, its probably not coming from a small leak caused by an O-ring.

But, just trying to provide as much info as I can.

Rich.