24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

bizzare cold weather starts

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008 | 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bizzare cold weather starts

I've noticed this morning and yesterday morning when I started my truck the thing was whining like crazy...seemed like it was coming from the power steering pump or something...could even feel a vibration through the steering wheel while turning manuevering through the neigborhood and listening to the distrubing whaling & shuddering like the darn thing was gonna give up on me

anyone else have this? Does putting a good synthetice PS fluid (like Royal Purple or Amsoil PS fluid) help with this? Am I missing the boat completely, is it something else that's related to cold starts or fluid during cold starts?? My tranny, engine oil, and fuel seem to be ok, so what's going on here?

thanks in advance!
Old 01-21-2008 | 02:18 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
Sounds like your PS fluid is done with- that stuff does age and one day won't work too nice when cold-

It's easy to change it- simply remove the cap from the PS reservoir, take a turkey baster and suck out all fluid.
Fill with new one. Start engine and turn steering wheel completely to the right stop engine - suck out fluid and refill, then start engine again and turn wheel completely to the left- stop engine etc.

This will change a major part of the fluid and should get rid of this problem.

I do like the Mopar PS fluid- works nice down to -25C (Didn't start my truck with a colder engine)

HTH

AlpineRAM
Old 01-21-2008 | 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by AlpineRAM
Sounds like your PS fluid is done with- that stuff does age and one day won't work too nice when cold-

It's easy to change it- simply remove the cap from the PS reservoir, take a turkey baster and suck out all fluid.
Fill with new one. Start engine and turn steering wheel completely to the right stop engine - suck out fluid and refill, then start engine again and turn wheel completely to the left- stop engine etc.

This will change a major part of the fluid and should get rid of this problem.

I do like the Mopar PS fluid- works nice down to -25C (Didn't start my truck with a colder engine)

HTH

AlpineRAM

but I just had my PS fluid replaced when the steering gearbox was replaced in November '07...not long ago at all...maybe a flush and fill to synthetic PS fluid will cure this??
Old 01-21-2008 | 03:20 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MOPAR has said for several years now to use ATF+3 or +4 for power steering fluid. It has better cold weather properties, better anitfoaming agents, and all of the same lubricating properties. Pretty simple to do, either like alpineram said, or just take the return line off of the pump, and run it into a bucket. Continue filling the resevoir with atf +3 or 4 until the fluid that comes out looks like what is going in!
Old 01-21-2008 | 04:33 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The Syn fluid made my whining go away (except from the passenger's seat, but that's another issue).

I'd go with the ATF+4-- it's basically synthetic anyway.

JH
Old 01-21-2008 | 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by HOHN
(except from the passenger's seat, but that's another issue).

JH
Anyone found a fix for that? Seems like that incessant whining never goes away until the cab warms up ?!?!
Old 01-21-2008 | 07:48 PM

(except from the passenger's seat, but that's another issue).

JH

Originally Posted by xtoyz17
Anyone found a fix for that? Seems like that incessant whining never goes away until the cab warms up ?!?!
Yea, but its very expensive I've heard
Old 01-21-2008 | 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Sunir
but I just had my PS fluid replaced when the steering gearbox was replaced in November '07...not long ago at all...maybe a flush and fill to synthetic PS fluid will cure this??
Just add a few ounces of Lube Guard. Problem solved.
Old 01-21-2008 | 08:50 PM

whats the atf +3 and +4?
Old 01-21-2008 | 08:54 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Mopar brand automatic transmission fluid. They have changed the formulation, but if I remember correctly, you can still buy either one. ATF+3 or ATF+4. Most Wal Marts are selling it now too. I have used ATF+3 Citgo brand too.
Old 01-22-2008 | 12:14 AM

The Syn fluid made my whining go away (except from the passenger's seat, but that's another issue).

JH
they make a synthetic for that to
Old 01-22-2008 | 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by xtoyz17
at least yours goes away.. cough,cough
Old 01-22-2008 | 07:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by vzdude
Mopar brand automatic transmission fluid. They have changed the formulation, but if I remember correctly, you can still buy either one. ATF+3 or ATF+4. Most Wal Marts are selling it now too. I have used ATF+3 Citgo brand too.
In iowa i think they are tring to do away with ATF +3 everyone around here carries just the 4. don't know about everywhere but the majority of the parts stores in iowa don'thandle 3 and neither does walmart.
Old 01-22-2008 | 08:08 AM

Lube Guard

Originally Posted by ytodd
Just add a few ounces of Lube Guard. Problem solved.
I'll back you up on the lube Guard

I've had this problem, I put in Lube Guard, it worked great. it was -8 here the other morning and havn't had any whining........from the PS pump that is.

Lube guard has several products for transmissions, oil, and P/S. I forgot what color the bottle was, each is color code. I had to ask for it at NAPA, they had it in back.
Old 01-22-2008 | 08:37 AM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Originally Posted by DodgeFreak
In iowa i think they are tring to do away with ATF +3 everyone around here carries just the 4. don't know about everywhere but the majority of the parts stores in iowa don'thandle 3 and neither does walmart.
They may finally be phasing out the 3. I knew when 4 came out, it was supposed to supercede everything before it. There may have been an abundant supply of 3 left around for awhile and now its fianlly gone.

Quick Reply: bizzare cold weather starts