24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

best place for a vp44?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 07:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
best place for a vp44?

I have some testing to do but i am pretty sure at 195000 miles it is gonna be the vp44 so where is the best place to buy one? quality and pricing since i don't think this is something I will want to have to replace again for a long time
Old 12-21-2008, 08:53 PM

Do a search...VP44
Old 12-21-2008, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are any number of suppliers. I have used Pensacola Diesel, four times with nary a hitch and prices are good. Find them on ebay. They are basically all built to Bosch standard and are warrantied the same, except the hot dogs and ones modified beyond standard. Stay away from "chez" and black rebuilds. JMHO
Old 12-21-2008, 10:45 PM

are the blue chips wort the extra $ the look about $400 more then penns diesel? my lp is from penns diesel great service
Old 12-21-2008, 10:52 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by dozer12216
There are any number of suppliers. I have used Pensacola Diesel, four times with nary a hitch and prices are good. Find them on ebay. They are basically all built to Bosch standard and are warrantied the same, except the hot dogs and ones modified beyond standard. Stay away from "chez" and black rebuilds. JMHO
four times???? i would say if you had to put four vp44's on one truck there's a problem... a good pump should last at least 200,000 miles
Old 12-22-2008, 10:17 AM

My vote goes to BlueChip special-X. I replaced my original with 175k on it and the truck has honestly never ran better. I get better mileage and it has a lot more power.

The instructions were provided and were very clear and detailed. The gear puller needed to pull the timing gear off the pump's shaft was loaned out at no charge. Chip gives out his cell phone number in case you get in a jam during the weekend project. Can't beat that anywhere else...
Old 12-22-2008, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by TOM R
I have some testing to do but i am pretty sure at 195000 miles it is gonna be the vp44 so where is the best place to buy one? quality and pricing since i don't think this is something I will want to have to replace again for a long time
I’m in the same boat. My truck has been carrying the P0216 code for about four months. Dead pedal events are now almost a daily occurrence. I’ve been researching possible VP44 sources so I contacted Bosch by e-mail for some additional information. Indicated below is their response. I left out my original questions for brevity purposes.

Bosch does not require our authorized diesel service dealers to repair or remanufacture the VP44 injection pump. It is the option of the authorized service facility as to whether they want to invest in the equipment and training for the VP44 pumps or purchase VP44 pumps remanufactured by Bosch for resale. Feel free to ask your local Bosch diesel service dealer if they remanufacture the VP44 pumps they may sell or purchase remanufactured VP44 pumps from Bosch. That being said, we are not aware of any issues with VP44 pumps remanufactured by a Bosch diesel service dealer. You may find a listing of Bosch diesel service dealers at www.boschservice.com.

The VP44 injection pumps remanufactured by Bosch and subsequently offered for sale by some of our authorized diesel service dealers, have all of the updates. VP44 pumps that are remanufactured by some of our authorized diesel service dealers and offered for sale may not have all the updates. Remember, it is the option of the individual authorized service dealer as to whether they purchase remanufactured from Bosch or do their own remanufacturing. Again, I can say that we are not aware of any issues with VP44 pumps remanufactured by a Bosch diesel service dealer.

> Best regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Saludos Cordiales / Yoroshiku Onegai-shimasu,
>
> Albert C. Krenz
>
> Robert Bosch LLC
> Director, Aftermarket Service (AA/ASA-NA)
> 2800 South 25th Avenue
> Broadview, IL 60155-4594 - USA
> www.boschservice.com
>
It is my understanding that Bosch remanufactured pumps have the following updates which are basically all that are offered on a remanufactured pump by them:

a. Pump Housing
b. PSG (the electronic control for the pump itself)
c. Timing Piston
d. Head and Rotor
e. Internal Supply Pump
f. All bearings, seals, gaskets, etc. are replaced

Obviously I would prefer to replace my trucks’ pump only one time. So I’m going for a remanufactured pump that has these updates and I hope (and pray) that the pump will last a lot longer than the standard 12 month warranty. Also, I'm going to try and do the R&R myself. Hopefully that won't end up being a mistake.

Trending Topics

Old 12-22-2008, 11:46 AM

ok so how do you know if the pump you are getting is rebuilt and updated or just rebuilt? since they stae that if it comes factory rebuilt all the upgrades are gaurenteed to be done if an authorized dealer rebuilds it the upgrades are optional??
Old 12-22-2008, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by TOM R
ok so how do you know if the pump you are getting is rebuilt and updated or just rebuilt? since they stae that if it comes factory rebuilt all the upgrades are gaurenteed to be done if an authorized dealer rebuilds it the upgrades are optional??
I would think that you need to ask the Bosch diesel service center if they purchase the remanufactured VP44 pumps that they offer for resale from Bosch. If so, they should be able to verify that and the pump will have all of the updates. If the service center gets their pumps from another remanufacturer or they reman the pumps themselves, then the pumps may or may not have all of the upgrades. Bosch does not require their service centers, the ones that remanufacturer Bosch pumps, to include all the upgrades. That's up to the individual service center. This is spelled out in my original post. Bottom line is that from what I've seen, most all of the pump vendors offer a 12 month time warranty - the mileage part of the warranty may vary. I would think that a pump that has all of the Bosch upgrades would theoretically have a longer service life than one that didn't have all of the upgrades. But, who knows. I bought my truck new in March of 2002; it has 66,000 miles on it and the VP44 is on its' way out.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:01 PM

Dozer, what do you mean by black pumps. I just ordered one and installed it from a reputable place. It is painted black. 1 year warranty. Runs and starts great.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:27 PM

i emailed pennsicola diesel they said they rebuild em to spec with new housings and electronics all upgrades are done, i have noticed some are painted black some are bare aluminum