24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Best Breathing set up?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 05:44 AM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Breathing set up?

I'm ready to add some air to the engine (let it in, let it out): I am considering the 4" turbo-back exhaust (do I want alum or stainless?) plus a more effective / efficient air cleaner set up. What would be the most bang for my buck on the intake? I've seen TONS of posts on the AFE, Scotty, and BHAF set ups - which is the cheapest that will let the Cummins breathe well?

If there are any installation "issues" with any of these, pls add tips that you may have!

Thx / Rauschbo
Old 03-02-2005, 09:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<$50=bhaf >$200=all the rest.

exhaust, stainless is neat, but over rated, if you are going to keep the rig and give it to your great grandkids go for it, but if you are not in salt country it is just a good way to blow the cash you saved by going to the bhaf and they all breath WAY better then stock

PS is it winter down in your neck of the woods 50*+ here
Old 03-02-2005, 12:12 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
It's hard to beat the BHAF for filtration performance at a higher airflow, especially for the money.

If you don't have EGT issues, then you are getting all the air the engine needs. Guages are not just there to help you know of an emergency-- they are indispensable for tuning.

Without my pyro, I would have wasted money on a larger exhaust that I don't need. The stock exhaust is fine up to about 375 hp. Besides, the stock Turbine Housing is the biggest restriction to flow, so it makes sense to me that you'd only want to consider a larger exhaust after you've already gone to a larger turbo or turbine housing.

Stainless is very pretty, but aluminzed holds up pretty well, and you can rustproof it with a product like Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator (from www.eastwoodco.com) or one of their high-temp paints for less than the cost of upgrading to stainless.

As for air intake, there are millions of words on here pertaining to this. In short, here's what I'd recommend:

1) if you can control EGTs with a BHAF, then go with that.
2) If you still need more air, try the AFE Pro-gard 7
3) If you still need more air, adapt a filter from a Pete 379 and hang it outside your fender.

In the long term, it's better to sacrifice a small marginal airflow advantage in favor of filtration efficiency.

One last thing on BHAFs-- I'd discourage using the Marine application which flows more air and is pricey ($100+). A Marine air filter is designed for seaborne applications where fine dust does not exist. The one advantage this filter has over an AFE type setup is that it is dry, not oiled. If you need that much air, maybe you should look at something like Scotty's Shaker hood or a Farr Ecolite Class 8 filter (that flows 1500cfm)

Justin