24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Bad noise from underneath

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad noise from underneath

I just pulled my truck off the side of the road tonight and I dont wanna drive it anymore, I NEED HELP!!! I dont know whats wrong when i depress the clutch the sound goes away but when i let it out I here a wretched clattering noise. Im afraid to drive it anwhere..ANY IDEAS NEED HELP FAST

FYI : 2002 ram 24 valve with the NV4500

Thanks, Ben
Semper Fi
Old 12-09-2010, 08:42 PM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Are we talking about just sitting there idling and not having it in a gear?

It might be the imput shaft bearing going bad in the tranny.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:45 PM

Just sitting their not in gear, because if it is in gear i would have the clutch in and the noise would go away.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:50 PM
"How in the heck do I change the phrase in between my user name and avatar?"

With clutch depressed noise goes away??? Almost sounds like a bad throwout bearing to me.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:08 AM

I wanna say its NOT the throw out bearing cuz its got to be something internal, really sounds bad like when going down the road and from a take off was horrible, Thats wehn I said I have had enough... Ill recap: The noise comes when the clutch is NOT depressed....also when the truck is in gear and moving(VERY VERY BAD NOISE)....I have been told by my dad who is a heavy truck mechanic that it seems as if the input shaft is missing teeth. could this be and does it make sence?
Old 12-10-2010, 12:52 PM

I would check the clutch assembly first before the main box of the transmission.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:56 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
I would throw in with the release bearing being the culprit. When you depress the clutch pedal, it puts a load on the bearing, and stops it from rattling.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hi
gig you check the trany fluid level ?
, prob input shaft bearing ?
Old 12-12-2010, 05:14 PM

Fluid is good. Thats what we are thinking, Input shaft bearing or the input shaft missing teeth. It has to be something internal cuz it acts like its binding up
Old 12-12-2010, 07:26 PM

I go for the throw out bearing. If it were internal transmission problem, like missing teeth, I think the drivetrain would be jerking you all over the place as the missing teeth came around. Either way, you have to drop the tranny But the good news is a throw out bearing is a bunch cheaper than the box Take a good look at the fork and the input shaft guide the bearing rides on. Odd are, one or both are chewed up.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:03 AM

well ill know the verdict on Tuesday.... Ill let you guys know what happens
Old 12-13-2010, 12:09 PM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
How many miles on this trans/clutch. Do you tow heavy?

What happened before this started? Did/do you dump the clutch or ramp on your truck?

Throwing teeth off the input shaft is from hard/abusive use.

Go with the simpler things first like the throwout bearing. They can sound pretty bad when going out. The nv4500 is pretty stout but it'll respond to your driving style.

I'd bet throw out bearing if its used and not abused.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:38 PM

that's the trouble, im not sure exactly how many miles are on the tranny or the clutch but i know the clutch feels pretty tight and pulls hard, I have never towed with it yet I haven't owned the truck for that long the truck its self has about 213k on it. but I know that the sound started and got prgrssivle worse as i drove and it make like a loud tick-tock noise while cruising down the road in 5 th gear but it did it in 3 too not so much 4th tho. and when i stopped at a red light and went to pull out It made an ungodly noise and hats where it sat.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:03 PM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
I am maybe wondering about the 5the gear nut issue with the earlier ones.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ben02ram
that's the trouble, im not sure exactly how many miles are on the tranny or the clutch but i know the clutch feels pretty tight and pulls hard, I have never towed with it yet I haven't owned the truck for that long the truck its self has about 213k on it. but I know that the sound started and got prgrssivle worse as i drove and it make like a loud tick-tock noise while cruising down the road in 5 th gear but it did it in 3 too not so much 4th tho. and when i stopped at a red light and went to pull out It made an ungodly noise and hats where it sat.
Sounds like the tranny to me. Symptoms you describe are very similar to what mine was doing right before I had it rebuilt. Turns out 4 of my countershaft teeth were missing. There wasnt much noise sitting still, but while driving, a loud ticking in every gear but 4th. Both my input shaft and countershaft gears looked like they had a lot of metal fatigue.

Quick Reply: Bad noise from underneath