24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Bad News....Trying to troubleshoot

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad News....Trying to troubleshoot

ok here it is.. this morning i turn on the truck and drive to work which is 45 min drive and i come to a stop light and the truck was chugging but wasnt stalling so im like ok.. what was that and take off when the light turns green and the tires sqwawk and all and im like ok that was wierd and continue to work. then i get in the trouck to come home and it feels like its missing bad and then it will idle smooth again and go back and forth..... any possible solutions ran scan tool not one dang code came up and the tech i took it to said he needs it to toss a code to do anything or he could just start swapping possible bad parts so im like NOOO and take the truck home. the truck feels good once you get going down the road its just sounds so horrible idling and the cruide control wont work because the truck will surge real bad back and forth about 10 mph up and down...... im so dreading its the dang vp-44 pump
Old 06-03-2006, 08:41 AM

ok.... so i guess noone has heard of this happening...... i drovce the truck to the store this morning to see if it was still doing it and it did but wouldnt stall so im not sure if its the vp-44 pump or not.
Old 06-04-2006, 12:40 AM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
Angry Bad news...Trying to troubleshoot

Mine did the same thing two weeks ago Monday, stopped at a light and starts rough idle and chugging. Up to the next light and dies. Towed to dealer...tech starts it right up and says no codes showing. No warning lights or nothing! New fuel filter cured all. Increased pressure post-filter by 2 psi! Lost a day of work for a $12 filter!
Old 06-04-2006, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by kurtaing
Mine did the same thing two weeks ago Monday, stopped at a light and starts rough idle and chugging. Up to the next light and dies. Towed to dealer...tech starts it right up and says no codes showing. No warning lights or nothing! New fuel filter cured all. Increased pressure post-filter by 2 psi! Lost a day of work for a $12 filter!
im going to buy some filters tomorrow im hoping its that because i cant afford a vp-44 pump right now.....

here is some video footage of it all and its not dieing i dont know i droove it home the day it started to do it and it was a 350 mile trip home and only did it at idle....

http://www.savefile.com/files2.php?f...859&key=896939
http://www.savefile.com/files2.php?f...871&key=523061
Old 06-04-2006, 12:12 PM
Banned

check your injector lines/retaining nuts on the lines

i cracked injectors loose once to get the truck started, and forgot to tighten up the number 5 line...drove it about 3 miles chugging, spitting, popping, sounding horrible. turned out the fuel was shooting out instead of popping off the injector

if thats not the problem pull the injectors and inspect them, could have a damaged injector, im willing to bet your issue is somewhere with the injectors
Old 06-04-2006, 02:24 PM

anymore ideas anyone plz i need more ideas i want to get more ideas before settling to say its the vp-44 pump i wish there was something i could test out to tell me whats wrong im getting not one dang code so much for a onboard diagnostics computer
Old 06-04-2006, 02:27 PM

Have you recalibrated the APPS recently? Could be worth a try.

Daniel
Old 06-04-2006, 04:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by storx
anymore ideas anyone plz i need more ideas i want to get more ideas before settling to say its the vp-44 pump i wish there was something i could test out to tell me whats wrong im getting not one dang code so much for a onboard diagnostics computer
when i had an the loose injector line i didnt have any codes and the truck ran like dog poo until i realized what i had done
Old 06-04-2006, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by dan239
Have you recalibrated the APPS recently? Could be worth a try.

Daniel
interesting.... this all started happening the day after i ran the jumper wire from the apps to the ecm for the transmission signal noise filter modification......
I wander if this would possably be the problem.
Old 06-04-2006, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by storx
interesting.... this all started happening the day after i ran the jumper wire from the apps to the ecm for the transmission signal noise filter modification......
I wander if this would possably be the problem.
I have found it best to start with the last thing I changed to try to solve a problem.

Daniel;
Old 06-04-2006, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by dan239
I have found it best to start with the last thing I changed to try to solve a problem.

Daniel;
well it seems to me if its not one thing its another....
i cured the horrible searching of gears but now i need to figure out the chugging crap now...
Old 06-04-2006, 08:05 PM

ok just got back from the truck i went out and i unhooked the positive and negative on the battery's and put them to the side after testing them and they tested good. Then i followed all the ground wires and i unscrewed them all and rescrewed them. Then i went to lowes and i bought the washers that look like little bittiy saw blades kinda where they scratch into the surface with the teeth and put it on all the grounds to maybe help it have more bite into the frame and firewall and such. Then i put my spare key in the truck and going to keep it on the on position all night to reset the apps.... i had something cool happen to me earlier though i was resetting the trip and turned the key on and of 3 times to see if it was throwing codes not paying attention that i was just holding the trip button in still to clear it and i had a number come up and stay on for like 20 secs i think.... 9388 was the number i turned the key off and turned it back on and it just said p-done so i was ok what was that number so i started to think and i push the trip button in and did the on off 3 times again and it said the same number again.... what could this number mean??? i checked the troubleshoot code list and there isnt this one on there so what could this number mean? is this some kind of reading or feature for the dealership?
Old 06-04-2006, 11:00 PM

Could it mean how many times you turned the key on. Just a guess.

Jim
Old 06-05-2006, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by dezeldog
Could it mean how many times you turned the key on. Just a guess.

Jim
i dont think that is the situation because it flashed the same number and it entitles turning the key on and off again to show it on the display.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:07 PM

well today i connected everything up and finish resetting the apps... and the truck droove awsome.. had a lot more pep to it then before and i was all happy tell i got half way to work and it started to do it again.. i was like dannggggggitttttt so i droove it to work all gentle expecting it to stall or die on me....
well i get out of work the truck starts up and i start my 48 mile journey home from work and it ran find the first like 15 mins and then it started to do it again and im confused what it can be... i dont think it can be the jumper wire i ran for the trans... but tomorrow im going to try taking it all off and see if by luck its that.. but im scared its my vp-44 pump seems to do it when the engine gets warm not when cold

Quick Reply: Bad News....Trying to troubleshoot