24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

bad injectors relate to heating problem?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2004, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
have your radiator checked for flo. i just lost an engine because (at least partially) of restricrted flo. they found a 35% restriction in mine and i had just recently had it power flushed and new fluid installed my dodge and it went undetected.
Old 08-16-2004, 10:19 AM
Banned

fan clutch??
Old 08-16-2004, 11:22 AM

How many miles on the injectors? stock? How many miles with the comp on what level?and how hot is it running empty/towing? Do you see any different temp. with box turned off, no fueling, no timing? Also, does temp. come down when fan clutch engages?

Brakes aren't draging?

What Herb said, be carefull !
Old 08-16-2004, 11:25 AM
Banned

is the guage telling the truth??
Old 08-16-2004, 11:47 AM

A friend of mine just came back from a trip to Oregon with his 5th wheel and his 2000 ctd. He said he had a similar problem with overheating on hills and such. He took it to a shop and they decided the rad was so plugged with bugs and stuff (truck came from Alberta where they grow a lot of grasshoppers) that it couldn't do its job anymore. They pulled it, gave it a soak, and blew it out and the problem was solved. Apparently the mechanic helping him said they see it all the time.
Old 08-17-2004, 07:22 PM

Why arnt you guys running a screen out front to stop all these bugs??
Old 08-19-2004, 04:37 PM

If an injector is bad, the other 5 cylinders will have to work that much harder and the motor will heat up more. Or atleast that's what I would think would happen if it were an injector.
Just my $.02 worth of info.
Old 08-19-2004, 05:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I learned a lesson the hard way. The temperature sensor is above the thermostat and only measures the temperature of the water leaving the engine after the thermostat. If there is a problem where the engine is heating and the thermostat is not open or only partially, the engine temperature is not registered. I mechanical gage is needed, it will take a gage with a 96 inch capalary tube. It needs to go in the front area of the engine, plenty of plugs to accomplish this.

On the other hand, I would not move the sensor as it may screw up the electronic ECM programming. Another thing to think about is that Cummins made some bad original installation thermostates that overheated on pull. My '99 had one of them and the engine cooled a lot by changing the thermostat. For those who have followed my experiences, this has nothing to do with the bad one I got from Cummins.

As I found out during my engine problems, the engine can overheat very bad and the sensor may not pick it up if the circulation is not good.

Pick up a piece of nylon screen, hang it down the front of the radiator assy, cut some holes for the hood bumpers and hood latch, it will hang there and protect the radiator. I have no heat problems with the screen on there.

Another problem with the radiator plugging that has not been mentioned, the breather in the front of the engine will allow oil to be sucked up into the radiator and will plug the lower portion of it. A breather extention getting it away from the radiator is the only cure. My truck had approximately 1/3 of the radiator plugged due to oil contamination after over 200,000 and part of that was with the extention. Extend the tube down at least past the front axle to cure it.

Mine is within 2 inches of the ground which works really good except for one thing, everyone is always telling me I have something hanging from the bottom of the truck.