24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Bad blend valve?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 11:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bad blend valve?

My a/c heater temp control seems to have 2 working positions, heat on-full clockwise, heat off-full counter clockwise.

Is there a way to check to see if it's the control or 'blend valve'

Where can you buy them
Old 12-13-2011, 12:32 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Have a look at this.. http://www.heatertreater.net/dodge-ram-95-02
Old 12-13-2011, 01:46 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, already checked that and find the blend servo only operates at the extremes.

I just don't know how to test to know if it's the servo or the control.

Anyone got a source for cheep parts
Old 12-13-2011, 03:49 PM

If you are 100% sure that the blend door is not stripped then I'm pretty sure the feed back is done in the electric actuator. However I would remove the control **** in the dash (just pulls off) and make sure that the "D" shaft in the **** is not stripped. Lastly the control in the dash.. they say it cannot be changed individually, that is not quite true you just can't or couldn't buy the parts individually. I would remove the electric blend door actuator to inspect it closer, you'll need to remove it to change the actuator anyway if all is ok with the door shaft. I assume it really is a 24v as you posted in this section? The early trucks had a cable to adjust the blend door.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:37 PM

Thanks for the reply, yep it is a 2001/24V. How I do miss my cable actuator that my older Dodges had, and don't understand why Chry$ler quit using them!

I have had the control out, and yep, if you could find the parts it could be repaired in sections. I have also had the actuator out in hopes it was the shaft connector that went bad.....that could use some better engineering for service access too. I did change the screws to hex heads as someone here suggested.

Is there a good source for the blend motors other than Chry$ler?
Old 12-14-2011, 04:50 PM

You say you had the control out but did you remove the **** itself to see if the "D" shaft inside the **** is stripped? Failing that.. I googled 52474810 which is the part number for the actuator and found one for $42 but didn't look very far.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:56 PM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
If you need the control panel assembly and do not need the mirror heat switch, I have one that will fit.

Check your vacuum lines also. Especially the one at the rear of the engine hanging under the hood seal. Mine was cracked and needed new hose.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SIXSLUG
If you need the control panel assembly and do not need the mirror heat switch, I have one that will fit.

Check your vacuum lines also. Especially the one at the rear of the engine hanging under the hood seal. Mine was cracked and needed new hose.
Mine was also cracked just down from the connector. Check the rubber hoses at the connections also. Mine were really cracked.

Rick
Old 12-15-2011, 10:37 AM

on mine, when I move the **** from full cold and watch the blend door, nothing happens untill I get to about the 3 o'clock position, then the blend door moves from one side to the other. It's as if I had a 2 position switch controlling the blend door
Old 12-15-2011, 02:56 PM

If you have good vacuum it should hold position.

I'd check the back of the A/C control panel for good connections. Mine has a little grease/wax around all the vac connectors.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:02 PM

For around $40 I would throw an electric blend door actuator at it, that's cheaper than taking it in.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:48 AM

They are only $40, wow much cheaper than I thought, Thank you.

For those suggesting checking the vacuum system, this trucks 'Blend Door' doesn’t use vacuum, it's a potentiometer for a control, that feeds the computer which controls the electronic motor driving the blend door.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Crallscars

For those suggesting checking the vacuum system, this trucks 'Blend Door' doesn’t use vacuum, it's a potentiometer for a control, that feeds the computer which controls the electronic motor driving the blend door.
I couldn't remember how it was controlled just that there were a bunch of vac hoses hooked to the back of it. Guess I coulda looked in my FSM!
Old 12-20-2011, 07:43 AM

The back of the control module has a bunch of vac hoses too, not sure what they are connceted to, it just isn't this particular valve
Old 12-20-2011, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Crallscars

I just called Dodge, the blend valve servo has gone up since you bought one, thru my company my price is $128.23

I'll let you know if it works

Quick Reply: Bad blend valve?