24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Axle wrap? or jerky clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 03:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Axle wrap? or jerky clutch?

I have been experiencing a jerky shudder as I let out the clutch, mostly in reverse, and is real hard to back up the trailer smoothly at a slow speed, without shaking the poop out of it.

Is this axle wrap, or is just a very sticky clutch, or a screwed up one.

The easier i let out the clutch the more it shakes and bounces. Even if I apply throttle while letting out the clutch.

I am told it is axle wrap, and will get some ladder bars to solve but wanted to check with the experice here first.

Thanks....
Old 06-06-2005, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just got a new cluth and when i put it in gear when starting out i have noticed the same thing. Like the slower i let it out the more of a jerky start. I would like to know what it is as well.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:25 PM

I have the same problem and think it is both axel wrap and grabby clutch and lots of torque
Old 06-06-2005, 11:49 PM

Axle wrap is usually caused from letting the clutch out fast under hard accel. When you try to slip the clutch for smooth starts or slow movement and it jerks, it is usually in the clutch. If the clutch is new, the mech probably over greased the pilot bearing and you have grease on the clutch disc. If the clutch is old, you may have a leaky rear main seal and the clutch has oil on it, or the disc damper springs are shot.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:47 AM

I agree with Hemi Cat.

You might also have a hot spot in the flywheel. I still would look into the clutch being the problem. As you described the problem is only there while ingaging the clutch.

Ladder bars won't do much good in reverse... The intended for foreward motion mostly. As you back up the ladder bar will move down and away from the springs. When your going foreward under hard acceleration the ladder bar will make contact with the spring and keep the axle wrap from occuring.

Just my 2 cent on this...
Old 06-14-2005, 08:14 PM

Thanks for the help hemicat and mopar1973man.

The clutch is about 20,000 km old, but its done this from the start, only now that i tow more with the truck its become a nussance.

Today I had a ton of pavers in the back and it was not very smooth at all even going forward, in second gear from a start. First is very shakey.

I will be taking to the local tranny guy this week, and will let yous know what he has to say..
Old 06-14-2005, 09:35 PM

firearm;

I had the same issue with an OEM LUK. I had the flywheel ground before I put the new clutch in and it started after about 600-700 miles. It was worse the less load I put on in it. If I tried first gear on a slight decline it would shake the rear of the truck almost 2". Pulled it out to inspect it found nothing wroung. Put it back in and had the same problem. The distirbuter warrentied it, and I upgraded to a heavy duty version. Had no problems since. Only have about 15,000 on this one. Had 10,000 with the shaky one.

Randy
Old 06-17-2005, 09:03 PM

I have the same grabby clutch problem youguys are tralking about. It's been giving me grief for the last 30,000 miles. Seems to do it more some times then others..... Don't know why.

I assume I need a new clutch.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:02 PM

I stopped by my tranny guy this week with 1200 kg of sand in the box, He test drove it in the parking lot, and it shook him real good.

I watched the springs flex alot while he was engaging the clutch. Almost making them into a "S" shape. If you can imagine the axle twisting the front of the spring up and the rear down, and vise versa.

He thinks it may just be loose mounts, and wants to put it on the hoist empty of course...

After my shift this weekend I will drop it by and let you know what he says later next week.
Old 06-18-2005, 09:34 PM

after i had my haisley installed it does the same thing its fine after takeoff but starting off is real trickey and it squeals like crazy
Old 06-19-2005, 02:02 PM

What kind of facing do you have on the clutch disk??? If you have a metalic/metalic type surface, they tend to be jumpy.. If you have a metalic/organic facing.. it is usually smooth while the organic side is engaging.. once the metalic side start to engage it gets jumpy.. (shows up worse with a load or when starting in 2nd gear..)
If you remove you clutch check the inner springs.. we have found some that were broken, that also caused the issue describe..
One last note... try bringing up the rpms just a little before you take off.. sometimes this help..
Good Luck..
Bryan

Hale... not sure which Haisely DD clutch I drove.. (I think it was the street/strip??) That was the smoothest clutch.. I don't know the differences in their clutches.. (I thought it was smoother than OEM.. I was very impressed..)
Old 06-20-2005, 12:02 AM

its very smooth going through the gears. but i always take off in second and it jumps and squeals like crazy. it done it as soon as they installed it, they warned me it would squeal. i can live with it though because no matter what i do i can't slip it even when i drop the clutch and smoke the 315's off the rear
Old 06-21-2005, 02:16 AM

metalic clutch plates, my truck shakes first thing in the morning. then i'm good the rest of the day.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:36 AM

Mine does it when im backing my 35ft 5ver. Forward no problems.