24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

automatic transmission questions what is wrong.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 11:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
automatic transmission questions what is wrong.

2002 replaced fuel pump, 4 inch cat back, fass 100 fuel pump.
had them put in a juice with attitude.
I don't race or any thing.
I really have not run it on the race or extreme settings. usually drive or mileage.

this is my first big diesel 4x4 truck with an automatic.
I am 48 years old and have been pretty easy on this truck as you guys warned me that the transmissions are weak.
so I am not sure how it is supposed to shift/feel.

I have noticed that it seems to search for a gear at around 40 to 45.

to day I towed for the first time with it.
hauling horse poo for the garden.
had a 7 by 12 foot dump trailer that I rented. I had it loaded, mounded up with pretty dry poo. but I could tell a heck of a difference in weight between the loaded and un loaded trailer.

I am pretty sure it was in second with the over drive turned off.
I had just driven a 4 to 5 percent grade for about 2 miles at 50 in drive and the converter was locked. egt got up to around 1300 when I sped up just before this

at around 25 to 30 on a 8 percent or better grade. short hill on the way home about 150 yards from a stop sign.

rpm at about 1800-2000 I stepped on the fuel and the tach went up to 2700 and I was slowing down.
transmission temp 180
egt 1160
fuel pressure 14
motor temp 200.

this happened when ever I had the trailer loaded.

first to second shifts have been feeling soft. you can sure tell when the converter locks up in 3rd and shifts well into over drive.

it would sure seem to me that the first second shift should feel better.

I had all the fluids changed, transmission filter, asked that they adjust the bands in the transmission if needed.
asked to have them check it out and see if they thought the transmission was slipping. They said no it was not.
this kind of scared me as we bought the truck for pulling a decent sized camper.

thanks for taking the time to read all that.
I hope that I was clear about what was going on and what I experienced.

so is this a normal thing?
what should I check?

if worst comes to worse should I have the transmission rebuilt local?
who has the best for the money transmission.
I have heard of gorend? transmission in Iowa. I am in western south dakota.
thank you for your time.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Mine was doing the t.c. lock/unlock boogie too. I cleaned the battery connections and all, and it still did it. So I replaced my batteries. Driver side one had a hole in it!! Now, no more boogie....
Old 04-17-2010, 11:25 PM

I will sure check them.
funny that the battery would mess up the transmission shifting.

so will the converter lock up in each gear?
is that where the slipping is coming in?

thanks for your reply.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:31 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I think its a low voltage issue with the computer not getting enough juice from the charging system is why the batts and connections are a good place to start. There are a bunch of threads on here on this topic.
As for each gear? I dunno. I just noticed in my truck at about the same speeds you are, unloaded. Pretty much cruising around town speeds. Some guys say to shield the one big wire coming from the alternator also with foil because it send electrical interference also. But, it is a pretty common gripe from what I gather. good luck man.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Battery voltage (or lack of) can certainly cause shifting trouble as can voltage spikes from other things. The trans will not lock in first and I don't think it does in second either. Yours, being an '02, will lock in third and fourth. I don't think 2000 and earlier will lock in third. You don't want to pull very hard for very long with the converter unlocked as it will eventually heat your trans enough to burn it up.

I have had trouble every few months with the OD hunt for the last couple of years. Stopped it every time by cleaning battery grounds except this last time. I had read about the alternator wire and had previously wrapped it at one point but eventually the problem came back. This time I just moved it back a bit away from the alternator and OD has shifted perfectly for the last several months again.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:35 AM

almost always electrical noise, bad grounds/dirty battery connections/bad alt, you name it. there are fixes for it, and some work for certain folks, and some dont on other trucks, susposed to be a BD "sponge" that asorbs voltage spikes or AC leakage from the Alt

here is a link to a sticky (on another forum) I think it covers about all the bases, most are free fixes or very cheap.

the RPM spike you mentioned could have been from the tranny searching for a gear and you were at just the right speed when you stepped on it that it down shifted.

another hint is if your tranny is stock it does not pump oil when in park, so if your working the truck and the tranny is hot,(say your stuck and going forward reverse multiple times) and you want to cool it down, put it in neutral, and raise the rpms. also note oil level can only be checked in neutral

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/98...up-thread.html
Old 04-18-2010, 09:15 AM

wow that is a lot of reading. here is what I have learned.

clean battery terminals
check grounds
clean and reset a bunch of connectors.

may need a filter on alt wire
Navone n25 noise filter
http://www.davidnavone.com/cart.asp?24&cat=2
http://www.davidnavone.com/cart.asp?14&pid=130

or

http://www.dieselperformance.com/ind...uct/index/185P

any thing that I have missed?
raining out to day so my out door project list is on hold.
my brain hurts now.
I read the threads, read the links in the threads, the threads in the threads threads.