24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

automatic transmission issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
automatic transmission issues

i noticed that my transmission started to act up around 35 mph and it was doing something back and forth (not shifting) and the torque converter was locking up to soon and it was getting into overdrive at around 35- 40mph i took it to a transmission shop and he said that the transmission is fine but its was the tps that was malfunctioning and causing the transmission to act this way as far as the transmission is concerned it is doing what it is to told to by the computer. the voltage at first on the tps was low and then when he tested it again it stayed at .78 volts and would not change. all of this started happening the day i had the injection pump replaced any suggestions on what to to i dont have the $504 to replace the tps right now i just spent about $4000 on other repairs like vp44, transfer pump, radiator, ctm, trans rear seal, all of these problems hit at once and has completely wiped me out of money. is it safe to drive for now with the way the transmission is acting
Old 02-13-2007, 08:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would have sworn that I read at least five posts on how your new CTM fixed this.....

While I'm still a bit leary of the apps "adjustment" (which many have praised), I would be looking at the easy cheap stuff first since your truck seems to be suffering from the same symptoms that many 2nd gen truck have....electrical noise. The JTEC controller is most likely seeing a voltage change and commanding the torque converter to "lock/unlock"......again, I'm not there, I haven't seen what scan tool is being used and what was observed. Make sure both batterys are in good condition. Clean the terminals, and what I would do (cheap) is to eliminate both of the gray connectors near the left (passenger) battery and solder and heat shrink the blk/tan wire ends together. Try that first and see where it gets you. Next, if it were mine, I would pull the alt and clean the commutator where the brushes ride (replace brushes if needed), and re-route the field wires (make a new harness and shield it.....we'll discuss this later if need be).
Old 02-13-2007, 08:39 PM

Try cleaning up your battery terminals, i have seen numerous threads on this subject before. Some guys rap tinfoil around one of there altenator wires, i think the tan and black one?? You can also reset your APPS. Search for APPS reset and tranny shifting problems if you have not already. If you do some searching on the site you can probably find a couple of quick and free tricks to try before buying a new TPS. Hope this is helpful
Old 02-13-2007, 08:40 PM

looks like j body beat me to it
Old 02-13-2007, 08:49 PM

there are 2 wires that run directly over the alternator actually they are sitting on it
they are also taped up, i should wrap foil around them?
Old 02-13-2007, 09:35 PM

do i need to unhook the batteries before i disconnect the gray connectors and how many wires are in the gray connectors am i just eliminating the connectors all together
Old 02-14-2007, 12:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
no need to unhook the bats for that. There is a single wire black/tan approx 10 gauge (larger). I've eliminated the connectors on a couple truck with success so far...... Keep it simple though....try cleaning the battery terminals first and see how it goes.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:41 AM

cleaned battery terminals and seems to not do it as much this problem is sort of intermittent though but cleaning the batteries helped. also the wires with the gray connectors run right on top of the alternator touching it i moved the wires over as far as i could which is now right behind it but still very close could those wires be picking up electrical interference off that alternator
Old 02-14-2007, 12:19 PM

What JBODY is referring to is the large wire that comes from your alternator and goes down near the battery tray and crosses your fender (the gray connectors are near the fender)on the passenger side. There is a junction in that wire at the gray connectors, cut the connectors off, twist then solder the connection and protect it with shrink wrap once done soldering.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:11 PM

eliminated the two gray connectors and found a third one down below not far away should this one be gone to? it looked like when i unplugged the connectors dodge had cleaned them and put dielectric grease in them
Old 02-14-2007, 10:38 PM

what other grounds can i clean? i removed the two gray connectors and found one more down lower should i remove that one to? what do i do to shield the alternator ground. where are the transmission grounds. my truck seems to be shifting better but still acts up a little. since i started clean grounds i want to clean the rest of them what else can i do
Old 03-21-2007, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by dltriolo
what other grounds can i clean? i removed the two gray connectors and found one more down lower should i remove that one to? what do i do to shield the alternator ground. where are the transmission grounds. my truck seems to be shifting better but still acts up a little. since i started clean grounds i want to clean the rest of them what else can i do
The dtt noise filter eliminated my problem completely....fyi

cheers

the Tree