24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Auto trans performance ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 09:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto trans performance ?

My auto trans(47re) truck seems extremely sluggish. It has a good 1-2 and 2-3 shift but(not good acceleration) does not seem to want to go into lock-up or overdrive unless you feather back on the throttle. This happens under normal acceleration and rpm's seem to rev and will finally go into overdrive around 50-55mph. The truck is stock. I know about the aftermarket trans upgrades but want to know if you think this nomal for stock truck.
Old 04-02-2005, 10:36 AM

Mine seemed a little sluggish too. I felt like there was a too much slip. After I installed my fuel module, I had the shop install a BD torq loc. It runs about $500 installed and seemed to help a lot.
I then added a switch that would lock up the torq conv. Works excellant!
It will lock up the conv in every gear except 1st. You use the OD off switch with it if you want to lock up 2nd, 3rd, & 4th.
PM me if you have any questins.
Old 04-02-2005, 10:42 AM

Just an observation, certainly not an automatic guru, but since I've been were you're at, let me pass along this:

When I had my transmission upgraded, I was able to observe that the metal mating surfaces in the vb was not the critical, absolute smoothness it needed to be to allow the pressure to build up. My initial pressure readings were noted as substandard. Same symptoms of the hunting/seeking from 3rd to 4th and back again. Then finally, kick into OD. After the upgrade, no longer had the problem, the pressures are up where they belong. Nice solid transition (I asked for and got the setup where you can feel the shifting through the gears, just more black magic for me).

We share the same model year and I personally feel you've got the same sorta problems. Is it characteristic of the stock? Dunno but my upgrader did mention that mine certainly wasn't the first he'd seen with this poor craftsmanship in the stock 47re.

~Dave
Old 04-02-2005, 03:33 PM

NWDave,

I see in your signature that you have dtt upgrades. Did you just get a torque converter and valve body or did you have other mods done. Thanks for the responses.
Old 04-02-2005, 05:50 PM

Went the full meal deal at about 8K miles. I'm now up to 45K (just burning up the super slabs) and haven't regretted a single moment of the decision. I went with the 89% TC for towing enhancement. I'm happy. One reason for going with DTT was proximity. I live about 35 minutes south of DTT.

~Dave
Old 04-04-2005, 04:52 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
RAM2940: DTT also offers a VB gasket kit. First thing I'd do with your tranny would be band adjustments, verifying the torque of the VB bolts and a pressure test. (Change the filter and fluid while at it)Also using a DRB scanner to determine whether there are any codes.
This should give you a course of action to make your stock tranny shift as it's supposed to shift. If there's something really wrong with it (like finding lots of sludge or burnt fluid) remedy the cause for this, or go for a full blown aftermarket tranny.

AlpineRAM