24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

AUTO oil filter change WONT upshift NOW!HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 06:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AUTO oil filter change WONT upshift NOW!HELP

I've changed the auto trans fluid and filter, used ROYAL PURPLE MAX ATF and MOPAR filter; checked the level in N, stays on top of OK max on the dipstick...but now my cummins won't shift up than 2nd gear!! not shift in 3rd, goes up to 1900rpm but wont shift... What can be?? i've drained out about 7qt and refill 7 1/2 qt...
too much oil? overfilled?
My HAYNES MANUAL and some tech instruction here on DTR says check the level with the trans in PARK...but my dipstick says check hot in NEUTRAL...
if I check in PARK there is a lot more oil, too much...
any help will be much appecciate

ROB
Old 06-27-2008, 08:12 AM

oil is checked in neutral NOT park. 7liters sounds about right when you drop the pan, could be a faulty filter (just a guess) or the gov pressor sensor is plugged up, I fixed a tranny with the same symptoms I pulled the sensor the filter screen on it was plugged solid with tranny stuff cleaned it with brake clean, cured problem, maybe you knocked the wires loose when you were replacing the filter?
hook a scanner to your truck and look at the tranny pressures
Old 06-27-2008, 08:58 AM

are you sure you got the filter onto the "mouth" right? iirc, my 99 had a little gasket that went there also......
Old 06-27-2008, 10:14 AM

the round gasket exactly?around the hole..the gasket was already on the filter... once the 2 screw are tighten up the filter remain a little loose on the driver side....????
If I have overfilled...not upshift can be a sequence??
Old 06-27-2008, 10:16 AM

no one problem before oil change! I guess it's my error...
Old 06-27-2008, 11:30 AM

Wires pinched during filter install????? Did you knock linkage off????? Wire connector above pan rail disconnected?????? Speed(rpm) wiriing disconnected??????
Old 06-27-2008, 12:03 PM

I didn't knock linkage off...tommorrow I'll check all with my mechanic. What can I do? what sensor are there? maybe some soot that plugged a sensor?
anyone have schematic of the bottom of the tranny??
Old 06-27-2008, 12:04 PM

rechecked the level in N hot: perfect; min OK max It's on OK.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:07 PM

what abaut the gov pressor sensor (maybe is plugged up)?? where is it? how to clean?
Old 06-27-2008, 03:38 PM

Inside the pan. You most likely will need to take the pan back off and eyeball everything closely to be sure you didn't disrupt a wire, or if the solenoid is plugged up.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:42 PM

I've backed off the pan, check all, filter, wiring all good! there are 2 round sensor or solenoid under the valve body, I don't know how to clean and take off????
today drove the truck, If I push it hard on the accellerator rpm goes up a lot and it engage the 3rd! than 4th and OD and run good!
It can be a torque converter lock up issue? because it wont shift to the 3rd, where is the lock/un lock mode...
Old 06-30-2008, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by smokinram99
I've backed off the pan, check all, filter, wiring all good! there are 2 round sensor or solenoid under the valve body, I don't know how to clean and take off????
today drove the truck, If I push it hard on the accellerator rpm goes up a lot and it engage the 3rd! than 4th and OD and run good!
It can be a torque converter lock up issue? because it wont shift to the 3rd, where is the lock/un lock mode...
Its pretty simple to get the solenoid (thats the one sticking down) and the pressure sensor (the one sticking out of the same assembly off to the side)

Youll need an 11mm socket (iirc) and a torx bit (dont remember what size). Just undo all the bolts, disconnect both sensor connectors, and youll have the whole housing in your hand (not sure what part thats called). The solenoid is easy, just remove that black shield and the solenoid will just pull right out. My top screen was plugged. To get the pressure sensor out is a little more tricky. It has a W shaped peice of spring steel in there. you basically have to grab one end with a pair of needle nose and just pull. Yes youll bend it out of shape, just re-bend it for installation. Then just pull out the sensor. To reassembly just do the reverse of everything.

My new solenoid should be here today or tomorrow, ill let you know if that fixes my issue. You said in my thread that yours is doing the exact same thing, maybe if it fixes mine you can have a better idea. Ill be the guinnie pig!

p.s. does your pressure sensor have a black body or a brass colored one? I ended up with the black body'd one and it is not the correct one. They had the brass listed for 98 and below...and thats what I needed. Just wondering what yours is. I need to see if they will take it back and exchange for the correct one.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:04 AM

thanks for all your help tx! why this problem came out after oil change? nothing befre except hard 3rd shift when cold.
if I remember right my press sensor was brass coloured...no black sensors.I'll check again...
you clean it with?? brake cleaner?
what about other sensors? speed sensor is the one on the driver side on the trans body? what's the 4th sensor?

ROB
Old 07-01-2008, 09:09 AM

I used electrical contact cleaner to blast mine clean (cleaner). Its not as harsh as brake cleaner, and it was handy.

The other sensors that I know of right off hand is the Transmissions output speed sensor (thats the one on the side of the trans) and the Vehicle speed sensor thats in the rear diff.

You might try taking out the one on the side of the trans and cleaning it or replacing it. It has a magnet so it tends to collect some shavings at times. I dont recall the size of the thing, I just use an adjustable wrench.

I could not tell you why that became a problem after you changed your oil. Me personally, if I could afford the downtime and had access to a donor truck id swap in a 5/6 speed in a heartbeat. Auto's are too complex and too fragile with too many areas that things can go wrong.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:24 PM

Called DODGE in the afternoon, the said my 47RE has 4 sensors - PRESSURE SENSOR - GOVERNOR SOLENOID - and 2 SPEED SENSORS.
they don't know about bronze or black finish of PRESS SENSOR...but they search with my VIN..I hope I receive the right sens
tx, let me know if solenoid solve your problem!

ROB

Quick Reply: AUTO oil filter change WONT upshift NOW!HELP