24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

auto to 6spd.. and yes i know its hard

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
auto to 6spd.. and yes i know its hard

alright i did the search and everyone says its not worth it..... BUT........

my friend rolled his dodge and he said i can take any parts off it i want for free.
he has the 6 speed in it..... i have an auto tranny thats starting to slip with 260,000+ km's on it.

now what do i need... do i need the transfer case too?....
pedal assembly, steering column, linkages, what else?

i mean i'm getting it all for free and i have a full shop i can do the work in!

help please!

he said something about having a mopar 6spd with the 7spd overdrive switch or something...... ??? i just figured he had the stock 6 or is it
Old 08-21-2005, 06:50 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Wow, if that's the case, you will need the pedal rack, unless you can get the clutch pedal out separately. You will likely need the driveshafts, as they may not be the same length as the auto driveshafts. The transfer cases are the same, they just bolt to an adapter on the back of the tranny.
The hole for the clutch master cylinder is in the firewall already, but you may have used it to run gauges, so you may need to reroute them.
The hole will be in the floorboard for the shifter, you just have to pull the carpet to remove it. You can probably just trade with the other truck. You will have to cut the hole in the carpet if you aren't swapping it.
You have to bypass the neutral safety switch for the Auto, or wire it into the the clutch safety switch that will come out of the other truck.
I'm not sure how the backup light switch is wired, but you will probably have to rig that as your connector is for backup AND neutral safety, which is not on the manual truck.

Chris
Old 08-21-2005, 06:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Might as well grab his PCM (one on the firewall). Yours will set dtc's as the trans sensors will be missing when you power it up......and grab his VP44 and send it to me.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:22 PM

That is nice

I would do it, assuming you have the time

I would think about putting in a South Bend clutch while you are doing it. Changing fluids and maybe slave cylinder depending on the mileage.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:09 PM

thanks for all the tips guys.. i did a dodge tranny today just so i could have the experience.. haha... it was a 97 but whatever same idea i think.

do i need to change the subframe connectors at all?

edit: I GOTTA CHANGE THE FRONT DRIVESHAFT! thing cost me a fortune and its brand new.