24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

APPS reset question

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation APPS reset question

I just have a quick about resetting the APPS on my 98.5. (don't remember the code number, but it was the apps code on the scanner at the diesel shop)
I've searched and found how to reset it and have done this.

My question is the white tag on my APPS says .570 volts...and it seems that I can only turn it forward enough to get .470 volts. Am I out of adjustment or am I missing something? I'm guessing that I'm not close enough in voltage to get rid of my CEL.
Old 01-20-2007, 04:49 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I believe these things start to wear out over time, and no amount of adjustment (without enlarging the holes) will bring it back to the tagged voltage.

In the other thread about the APPS recalibration, I think everyone was pretty well maxing out the rotation in order to get close to their number.
Old 01-20-2007, 05:28 PM

thanks, that's what I was thinking too.
Local Dodge dealer wants $510 for the sensor/brackets and won't sell me just the sensor. I think napa has just the sensor for about half, I'll find out if it's the right part when it comes in.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:06 PM

Are you turning the whole housing or just screwing the torx in on the end of the sensor
Old 01-21-2007, 10:25 AM

I was turning the sensor (slightly, it doesn't move much) behind the housing after the two torque screws were loose.
the tech at the local dodge dealer doesn't think they are adjustable, I told him I could turn it and get anywhere from .17v to .48v. I still don't think he believed me that it could be adjusted a little.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:46 AM

Well I guess I was one of the lucky ones as I was able to reset mine to something close enough to .574vdc as stated on the sensor. I think mine only went to .550vdc but after doing a reset it drives completely normal and the transmission shifts like it should (was going in and out of gear) and no more dead pedal either. Just adjust it as close as you can get it and if it won't go far enough then you will probably have to get another one, but it is definitely worth trying instead of paying $500 for a whole new bell crank assembly. Been 5 months since I did mine and not a single code yet. BTW, 262,xxx miles on 2000 2500 almost stock (I think).
Old 01-22-2007, 01:18 PM

ok...one more question, I ended having to buy the dodge part. I wasn't convinced the Napa could get the right apps sensor, and no returns after install.
Put the new mopar bell crank assembly in, white tag said .507 volts, all I'm getting is .48. Truck runs much better, do I adjust accordingly to get correct voltage, or just have the code cleared and call it good?
thanks for all the info so far, this is definately a great place to get any info I need. chris
Old 01-22-2007, 07:15 PM

I think if you do five start cycles the light will go off by itself. I don't know if that actually clears the code, but you could try. my new one worked for about a year and then started doing the same thing again so I turned the torx screw in until the voltage read correctly. It's been good ever since.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:57 PM

thanks, I'll give that a try
Old 01-23-2007, 10:16 AM

having apps issues too. I got the following codes
p1693
p0122
p0236
p0522
I tried the recalibration with voltmeter, even did the battery disconnect. Those didn't work. I got another apps off of another running truck with no codes only to have it not work on mine. I took a scan tool and cleared the codes. It ran a while but still had a "miss" at about 1500-1800 rpms but no codes. I shut it off, codes came back and truck won't run right, either idle or it takes off like a bat outta hell. I have checked all the wiring and everything is in good shape with no obvious breaks. Talked to a mechanic who said it could be the ecm goin bad.

Now what, I need this truck badly. Can I just reflash the ecm at a dealer or do I need to just buy a reman from Napa?

Cory
Old 01-23-2007, 10:25 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
P0122 - APPS voltage low
P0236 - Turbo boost too high
P0522 - Oil Pressure Sensor voltage low

After you did the battery disconnect and/or put the other APPS in, did you recalibrate the ECM to the APPS? This is done by turning the key on, and slowly pressing the accelerator all the way to the floor, then releasing it slowly. This calibrates the ECM to the full range of the APPS.

If you swapped APPS and didn't recalibrate, this could be why the new APPS is acting up as well.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:33 AM

yes, I have recalibrated with ecm. still nothing.
Old 02-04-2007, 01:07 PM

Hi folks:

Could you tell me what color the wires are where I can check the voltage from the new APPS & what should the voltage be axactly. Is the voltage changed by a slight rotation of the APPS in the slots behind the ballcrank?
Thanks for your help
Don

donliz@primus.ca
Old 02-04-2007, 09:47 PM

Correct wire is the orange with blue strip on my '99...the correct voltage is listed on the back of the APPS...rotating is correct
Old 09-13-2007, 08:47 PM

Can someone elaborate on the actual pin number at the APPS where voltage should be measured? On my 2001.5 the wire at the PCM is Orange w/Blue, but no such color at the APPS connector. Didn't want to hose anything up by randomly testing pin voltages to ground.

Dead Pedal got me good today, drove her home with nothing but the cruise control... 62 miles and only dropped below 35 to turn in the driveway... had to idle from there to the garage. A the posted reset procedure worked... but I'd like to verify the voltage and adjust accordingly, had the APPS replaced under warranty 100K+ ago.. now at 180K.

Good note to remember... if you are above 35mph and D.P. gets you.... hit the cruise! Might save you some distance before you have to crawl.

Quick Reply: APPS reset question