24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Anyone Get Their 24V Reflashed for Cold Weather OPs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2002, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone Get Their 24V Reflashed for Cold Weather OPs?

Talked to my dealer this morning about reflashing the ECM to assist in cold weather idling. Unfortunately, the service manager did not know how the reprogrammed module affected the idle or if there were any changes to the operating procedures. On another note - he did say it was covered under the warranty. Anyone with experience know what the scoop is?
Old 12-18-2002, 07:13 PM

Re:Anyone Get Their 24V Reflashed for Cold Weather OPs?

You might want to brouse the TDR on this topic. There is literally 100's of posts about the OEM high idle feature. Do not be surprised if it takes a few trips to the dealer until they get the feature "enabled" properly so this feature works.
Old 12-19-2002, 08:01 AM

I've also read where some guys reported dismal fuel mileage after the flash. I don't know if what they were seeing was a result of cold weather operation and blended fuel, or just in their minds, but it's something to consider; don't mess with success.<br><br>-Tom-
Old 12-19-2002, 09:03 AM

[quote author=Commatoze link=board=4;threadid=8463;start=0#82294 date=1040306504]
I've also read where some guys reported dismal fuel mileage after the flash. I don't know if what they were seeing was a result of cold weather operation and blended fuel, or just in their minds, but it's something to consider; don't mess with success.

-Tom-
[/quote]

Very good point, this seems to always be the risk when having any reflash done. My understanding is this is NOT a reflash, but simply enabling or activating a program which already exists in the ECM. The cold wether high idle program is already there, the dealer just needs to &quot;turn it on&quot;. Now I suppose there's the risk while your truck is connected to their computer they could give ya the latest &amp; greatest emissions flash &gt; : The question of fuel mileage and engine performance after having this TSB done has been asked before, and for the folks who's high idle feature is working report NO change in fuel mileage or engine performance.
Old 12-19-2002, 02:45 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I had the reflash for the cold start done...apparently it allows the truck to start easier? Never noticed a difference.<br>The fast idle enabling was not able to be done on my ETH...apparently It was not set up for that program. <br><br>Sorry I cannot tell you anything really good about it.
Old 12-20-2002, 01:16 PM

I had mine done, when I start it up it idles at regular speed for about 1-2 minute then it slowly ramps up to 1100 rpm and stays that way till the truck warms up or you step on the gas or the brake .....<br><br><br>it's supposed to drop back to 3 cylinders if it's cold enought, but it was -30 the other day and all it did was fast idle, so I don't know how cold it has to get before it drops the cylinders <br><br>
Old 12-20-2002, 01:53 PM

Had the reflash done a while ago, idle is up slightly, when the fuel heaters go on the amp gauge doesn't drop as much as it use to, and seems easier on the start up. <br><br>A positive note is the cold shifting, much better without any lags or hesiitations between shifts. ******* told me that is one of the reasons for the reflash. <br><br>Merry Christmas to all and to all a Happy New Year <br> [/color]
Old 12-20-2002, 04:51 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Going to the dealer for an oil change sometime next month.<br>Maybe I'll have them try the flash on mine, and hope I am lucky enough to have it take first time.<br><br>If it helps the shifts that will be worth it.<br><br>Also, can't always plug in when at work, only can if I get the spot by the door, which is a hot property.<br><br>Anyone seen any negative effects of the flash?<br>i.e. fuel mileage going down?<br><br>thanx<br><br>phox
Old 12-22-2002, 03:20 PM

;D Hi guys,i'm new to the site,so bear withme if i bore you. I'm a tech @ aDodge dealer,have a2002 quad cab w/CTD. The flash that you are talking about is called a cold weather idle enhancement. It was developed to aid with engine/cab warm up due to the fact that the engine has a difficult time warming up @ base idle. Problems were found to have gumbed up valves in the cyl. heads and stick,causing eng. damage. My 2002 already had the feature in the software/and needs to be &quot;enabled&quot; by the DRB. If the feature is not listed in i believe it's under customers preferances, A flash is available to download the software to the ECM,then enable it. This is how it works,and i have to admit it works very well. The CTS(coolant temp sensor) has to read less than 60 deg.F. and the IAT(intake air temp) has to be @ 32 Deg F or lower. When these conditions are met @ start up the eng will run @ base idle for about 1 min. then ramp up to 1100-1200 Rpm.(It is supposed to be 1200) The engine will stay at this speed until you either step on the brake pedal,put in gear,or tap the accelerator pedal,at this point it will only reenable if it idles long enough to meet the above, conditions. If the temp,(IAT) drops to 15 deg F, and coolant temp is below 60 F, is is supposed to shut down 3 cyl,to warm faster,but i have'nt seen this happen yet. Hope this helps you out. TGCTD
Old 12-22-2002, 07:37 PM
Administrator

Welcome, and not boring at all.<br><br>I guess my main question is, if you put it into neutral to aid in raising the transmission temperature, that would kill the &quot;fast idle&quot;.<br>Would it then, 1 minute later, in neutral, resume the fast idle since it is still rather cold?<br><br>thanx<br><br>phox
Old 12-22-2002, 08:09 PM

Good questions.I think a little experimenting is in order. If you switch the trans to neutral before the idle starts ramping, you may get it to engage,but i have never tried it like that. It seems to take a long cool down period before it will reactivate. I mean i have never seen it reactivate in the same day. I have only seen it engage after a long overnight period of at least 12 hours. I think the cast iron must hold the heat very well. As for quicker warming with the trans in neutral, I could be wrong but i think it only aids to cool the trans faster when it's hot. This is because of the change of flow through the trans cooler,but i guess you could try it both ways and see which result is better. TGCTD
Old 12-22-2002, 11:38 PM

As for the fuel economy decrease, i have seen a drop in my mileage,but i would be more inclined to believe that it is from idling the eng. without going anywhere,than from updated emissions flash. I have been told by other diesel mechanics that any diesel will consume about 1 gal. per hour idling. Now if you idle the truck for a half hour,twice a day,that's a gallon a day X 7 days etc. So i figure my mileage drop from an avg. of 18 mpg to 13 mpg is due to the extended idle. The feature i have also noticed will push coolant temp up to between 140-190, while idling without the fast idle, the temp guage will not move off the coldest reading. I have even tried the block heater and that doesn't heat up the eng. as quickly as the idle enhancement. I also installed a cold weather front,and that also aids very well in warm up and maintaining eng. temp. At ambient temps at 60 F. and below i have not seen my coolant temp go above 190. Now i have seen my eng. temp drop from 190,at highway speeds with ambient temps at 40 F and below,before i added the grill cover. As for warranty coverage it should be covered under provisions of the warranty. When asking the dealer about it, they should be able to look up the TSB on their MDS. I know that the dealer i work at, alot of the people there are not too knowledgable about the Cummins,and i first found the TSB checking for any TSB for my truck. I hope this helps you guys out. TGCTD
Old 12-23-2002, 12:41 AM

yeah I'll say some dealers don't know about the cummins ......<br><br>took my truck in for the reflash, even gave em the tsb number .....they told me they updated both the ecm and pcm and charged me 30 bux, I was on my way, no prob I thought ........<br><br>next morning no fast idle and it was -15 out ......... so I head on over to the dealer, tell him that while I'm sure he reflashed my truck he must have forgot to go in and enable the cold start feature ........<br><br>he brushed me off and said there was no such feature, I gave him the tsb number again, he refused to look it up ...... I finally asked to talk to the mechanic .......<br><br>he told me he never heard of any such feature and asked exactly what I thought it should do ........ I told him the whole fast idle when it's cold feature .......<br><br>and he said he'd never heard of such a thing, and it obviously couldn't exist because how's a motor supposed to tell when it's cold .....(at this point I thought, are you sure you're a mechanic)<br><br>he asked where i heard about this , I said the internet , he said well yuo can't believe half the crap you find on the internet ......<br><br>so I went back to the hotel, fired up the laptop, found the tsb printed it off and took it back to the dealer ....... he read it, said huh. first time I heard of this ......<br><br>then it took him about 5 minutes to go in and enable the feature <br><br>at least I left happy ............
Old 12-23-2002, 06:24 PM

In my owners manual it states:<br><br>Cold Weather Idle Enhancement Feature<br>If extended idling is necessary in extremely cold weather, a feature is available that will enhance warm up time and protect your engine during extended idling. See your authorized dealer for more information.<br><br>Do you think the dealer knows what it is. NOT &gt;<br>
Old 12-23-2002, 06:45 PM

Anyone find out if the &quot;neutral&quot; idling affects the enhancement or not? I'm thinking about getting my truck &quot;enabled&quot; if it is possible. (I use neutral when warming up, it's what I heard about trans warming/lubing)<br><br>BTW, Good info...Thanks for the write folks!<br><br>Pete

Quick Reply: Anyone Get Their 24V Reflashed for Cold Weather OPs?