24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

any one, please respond...thanks.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 11:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
any one, please respond...thanks.

Sorry for the heading but this is the second time I have writen this thread.Any way when i am wot in forth and fifth gear , the truck starts to sway back and forth as if the rear end is loose on the shackles ...but they are not. It only happens on 5x5 on the comp.If anyone has any thing to say about this please respond. Thank you much

JIM
Old 12-09-2004, 03:14 AM
Banned

Maybe it's just the tires breaking loose and sliding around. Only thing I could tell you is to go back there and make sure every nut and bolt is torqued to specs.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:18 AM
Banned

Check your anti-sway bar for play or loose some where. Mine does the same thing, I just chalked it up to the rear dually's climbing in and out of the highway tracks, I just learned to live with it.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:11 PM

thank you for the comments.My truck sways so bad that it feels like it might get out of control. very scarry and it is getting worse. it seems to happen much earlier in the power band than before, otherwise I would live with it.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:30 PM
Banned

not sure just what kind of sway your experiencing, but could it be something to do with the motor mounts? just a thought...... good luck
Old 12-09-2004, 10:34 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I know this is a stretch, but does your truck have limited slip?
If it does, could it be going out and causing an oscillation of power right and then left tires?

Just taking a wild guess.

Rich
Old 12-09-2004, 10:36 PM

On your lift in the rear are you runnin blocks or add-a-leafs? Seems to me like your problem is in that area.

Trending Topics

Old 12-09-2004, 10:38 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by BUCKSHOTMCKEE
On your lift in the rear are you runnin blocks or add-a-leafs? Seems to me like your problem is in that area.
I missed the fact that he's got a lift.
Could it be axle wrap under full power?

Rich
Old 12-09-2004, 10:41 PM

He does have latters/ladders on there to help with the axle wrap. Unless they werent mounted to the frame correctly.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:47 PM
Banned

what about the tread separating on one of the tires?
Old 12-09-2004, 10:51 PM

Thanks for the insite...the rear is stock lift and my bars are mounted to the frame via weld. I,m going to go out in to my garage right now and lokk for sighns of my axle moving...by the way this seems to be a high horse power problem
..... or just lack of maintanence
Old 12-09-2004, 11:50 PM

I checked all the axle conections and air pressurein tires. 23 in one and 27 in the other. maby thats my problem.
Old 12-10-2004, 12:23 AM

Tire pressure is a bit low. Read the side of the tire and inflate it to max psi on all 4 corners. Make sure you have the same type of tires front to rear.
Old 12-10-2004, 03:10 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Weird. I noticed this same sway last night for the first time. But there was a 30mph crosswind, too.

I think it's my weak LSD. I jacked up one corner last night and could overcome the clutch pack BY HAND.

Oh well...
Old 12-10-2004, 08:57 PM

Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally posted by HOHN
Weird. I noticed this same sway last night for the first time. But there was a 30mph crosswind, too.

I think it's my weak LSD. I jacked up one corner last night and could overcome the clutch pack BY HAND.

Oh well...
You SHOULD be able to overcome the LS by hand. If you couldnt there would be a problem or you have a locker. LS differentials are very loose (especially ones that arent aftermarket). So loose that when jacking up the back and spinning one tire, the other side will probably spin about half as fast. The way they work is when you hit the throttle the clutch packs are squeezed tight to limit slipping (funny play on words ). This is why if your in a situation where your LS is having a hard time working right, say REALLY slippery stuff, then you can ride the e-brake to help bind the clutches. If your LS was bad it would work just like an open differential.
jimjaws, as for the sway, I cant say what that is. Especially since I dont really know what your describing. But I did see you said that the bars are welded to the fram. Well I dont know who did the job or no smack to you either but I do know that welding to a frame is not a good idea unless you know what you doing and ladder bars can put a huge stress on a frame. Another possible is did you check to see if there is any cracks in the frame around the welds? I had ladder bars on a different truck some time ago and the bars actually cracked the fram so bad that if I hadnt of heard this funny little noise coming from under the truck it might have broke in two. Needless to say the bars came off and the frame was fish plated.

Quick Reply: any one, please respond...thanks.