24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Another Shudder and Shake

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 09:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Another Shudder and Shake

I have done a search ('till I am blue in the face) and could not pin down my exact symtoms.

My truck will shudder and shake only when I am in the range of 50 to 65 mph and when I accelerate to maintain speeds up a hill or just enough pedel to speed up a little. I can accelerate through it (give more pedal) and it will go away or I just cant feel it anymore. It seems like the TC is either slipping or locking and unlucking real fast. There is no change in RPM's while this is happening. My guess is that it is happening so fast there is not enough time for it to register. I have the Edge EZ. New LP and VP about 15k miles back. I have inspected the rear D-shaft and there is a little play at the carrier bearing (about 3/8" play). It seems to not do it at low speeds or after about 65-70 mph.

I can make it do it at any temperature. I can make it do it when it is cold and even after a long run when the tranny is warm.

If there are anymore conditions I missed let me know and I will give them.

Any help and aI would be grateful.

Thanks....
Old 11-02-2005, 10:05 PM

This might sound dumb but your tires might be out of balance and at that certain speed range it is most noticeable. Just a thought, Eric
Old 11-02-2005, 10:11 PM

[QUOTE=ellerman]This might sound dumb but your tires might be out of balance and at that certain speed range it is most noticeable. Just a thought, Eric[/QUOTE

I can go as fast as I want without any shaking if I nurse the pedal or go WOT. There is just that one little sweet spot in the throttle that makes it shake. When it does shake I can let off and it will go away or I can give it more pedal and it will go away.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouls suggest fuel pressure. Have you tapped the COMP wire?
Old 11-03-2005, 06:28 AM

sounds to me like TC shutter...mine did the same thing. I would swap out the converter before it does soe real damage and either install a shift kit or performance valve body to increase your pressure
Old 11-03-2005, 06:32 AM

It's your TC! Make sure your running a good +3 or +4. I like the Valvoline +3, it has a good shudder additive. Drop your pan, and up the line pressure. While your in there do a shift kit.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would have to agree that it sounds like the torque converter clutch has met it's demise. I'm also curious as to if you have the wire pierced on your comp. Even running it untapped on EZ mode accelerate the damage to the convertor clutch. I bet when you pull the trans the outer face of the converter will have a nice blue/purple ring around it from the heat. Been there/done that. I was still under warranty at 26K when my first one let go. I have over 50K on the present stocker.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:32 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I was leaning towards the TC myself but wanted more opinions. Where can I get a good TC and or valve body? I am not into racing my truck but dont mind gettin on it every now and again and I do tow but nothin real heavy. I am the DIY kinda person and dont mind doing this myself. I just need to be pointed in the right direction. How do I increase the line pressure? I can install the v-body and tc myself probably without any trouble but the other little tricks I would need to know.

Is this all I need or is there other things I need as well?
Old 11-03-2005, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by J BODY
I would have to agree that it sounds like the torque converter clutch has met it's demise. I'm also curious as to if you have the wire pierced on your comp. Even running it untapped on EZ mode accelerate the damage to the convertor clutch. I bet when you pull the trans the outer face of the converter will have a nice blue/purple ring around it from the heat. Been there/done that. I was still under warranty at 26K when my first one let go. I have over 50K on the present stocker.
No my wire is not tapped. I only have the Edge EZ. I guess I need to un plug it until I get this fixed.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by 13FOX
I wouls suggest fuel pressure. Have you tapped the COMP wire?
I would not think it would be fuel pessure cause I can give it more fuel and it will go away.

I have gauges on the way and I will be able to get FP readings.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:15 PM

anybody else?
Old 11-03-2005, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Itsmejoe231
anybody else?
Call Dave at Goerend's and explain to him your problem..its the converter no doubt about it. He can sell you the parts to fix it
Old 11-03-2005, 08:14 PM

Thanks for all the replies. thanks Big Dee for the referal. I will call them in the morning.

I will post up what the fix is.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The reason I say FP is because I just had the same experience. I know for sure my tranny aint slipping. I finaly got my FASS II and it went away. my fp was getting a little low. I also order new connecter tubes as well. Just check your fp to be safe.
Old 11-04-2005, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by 13FOX
The reason I say FP is because I just had the same experience. I know for sure my tranny aint slipping. I finaly got my FASS II and it went away. my fp was getting a little low. I also order new connecter tubes as well. Just check your fp to be safe.
Thanks for the heads up. I will check everything before dumping a bunch of $$ to it. The LP and VP was changed out about 10k miles ago. That dont mean anything but I hope it will last longer than that. If I upgraded the TC I dont think it would be a total loss if that is not the problem....I can get mo hp after that. :-)

Quick Reply: Another Shudder and Shake