24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Another P1693 thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 12:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another P1693 thread

Been searching but nothing seems to quite fit what I've got going on. Thinking this is VP44(IP). Driving to the gas station to empty my pockets and the '01 CTD w/ auto dies. Can't restart after bumping and cranking, waiting. Nice guy in a Chevy pulls me the 75 yards to the pump. I wasn't empty but thinking maybe my LP is taking a dump, maybe fuel will help. While fueling, truck off of course, I flip the canister valve to drain water, nothing's coming out.

So I turn to on position to get LP going again, runs for a good 15-20 seconds. Hit the valve again and bingo, some fluid (appeared to be water). Close the valve, bump the starter a few times, still feels like dry crank. Now I am getting upset. Hit the key on again, while pump is going, hit the drain valve again and it's gushing a good 10-15 psi until the lp shuts off. bump and crank again, still nothing. Time to cycle codes-P1693-nothing else (companion code). Now it has fuel in tank, dry cranking. Saw a bleeder valve on the vp/ip and hit it while pump is on and off, nothing.

This walks and talks like a vp44. Tomorrow I will crack 1,3,4 lines to see, do an apps reset, and replace fuel filter. Any other suggestions? Oh yes and check wires of course. Thanks.

P.S. Heard a humming noise while throttle was down a month ago and hasn't been doing it last couple weeks. Someone mentioned back then vp44. Hasn't been it's spunky self the last week or so either. Seems to be more and more evident just don't want to fork the money over for this IP.

Last edited by tbrunson; 06-26-2008 at 12:50 AM. Reason: forgot detail
Old 06-26-2008, 12:05 PM

Update: Went to replace fuel/water filter and decided to go the redneck route on the lp check after old filter was removed (empty bowl). Bumped the starter. No new fuel went into the bowl at all. Bingo!! Just hope my IP isn't done too. The lp sounded sickly and weak I might add (gurgle).

Dan's VP replacement vids are awesome by the way! Just search vp44 replacement.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:18 PM

Apparently the IP is done for too. Just cracked #1 line to test and no dripping regardless of what I do. No leaks, frame or otherwise. APPS reset didn't help. Called a shop, seems reputable. Anyone have good suggestions for shops/suppliers around West Jordan, Utah? Thanks.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you ran it out of fuel, you have to reprime it. Crack 3-4 fuel lines and crank, but only if you do have a working LP and filled up the filter housing by bumping the starter several times. Then, crank. Fuel should show up in the loosened injector fittings.
Testing just #1 is probably not so good, it gets a pulse only once in a while. Loosen up several and try first. Cheap compared to replacing the VP.
Also, you can prime without cranking. Loosen the lines and turn on your LP (if you can), then turn the crankshaft using alternator pulley. Eventually the fuel will seep through injector liens. This is 3/4 of the way to starting her up on 3-4 cylinders, which then will fire up the rest.