24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Another oil pressure problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another oil pressure problem

OK, here goes. Last month the oil pressure gauge starting acting a little wierd. I keeps jumping around while maintaining a steady speed. I was told that probably the pressure senser was bad. I haven't had a chance to replace it as yet. Yesterday I was out there working on the radio with the key on and the engine off, the gauge was reading 40 lbs. without the engine running. I played with the key (off and on a while) and it went back to 0. Upon starting it came up to where it should be. Need some help here.

Thanks,
Barry
Old 03-22-2005, 12:17 AM

There an update for the ecm, tsb #09-001-01 that has an effect on the pressure reading low, but your problem sounds like the sensor....had a few of them stick at a constant pressure(engine on or off)
Old 03-22-2005, 09:17 AM

If you do the flash. It will turn you guage into a dummy light... DON'T FLASH UPDATE!

It is most likely the sensor has failed. On my 96 it did some pretty wild thing when it failed. Extreme high / low reading. Sometime showed pressure long after the engine had shutdown... Pressure sender is a starting point...

Take the time and check will a mechincal guage firest ot verify the pressure first. There is a 1/8" NPT nipple on the top of the oil filter housing for hooking up a guage...
Old 03-22-2005, 07:47 PM

Thanks guys,
I have an extra oil pressure gauge out in the shop off one of our race cars. Will hook it up this weekend and see what kind of pressure I really have. I'm thinking it is the sending unit too as this has happened to another truck I had. All of a sudden it went to zero. Sure scared me until I found out what it was.
Old 03-23-2005, 12:23 PM

My gauge started doing the same thing, then it quit working entirely. Took it to the dealer, they said It was probably the sensor, but it might help to reflash. So I let them do the reflash, and the gauge started working again. Then 1 day I noticed that I had normal oil pressure while waiting for the wait-to-start light to go out... I installed a mechanical gauge.
Old 03-23-2005, 03:39 PM

Originally posted by gamiller31
My gauge started doing the same thing, then it quit working entirely. Took it to the dealer, they said It was probably the sensor, but it might help to reflash. So I let them do the reflash, and the gauge started working again. Then 1 day I noticed that I had normal oil pressure while waiting for the wait-to-start light to go out... I installed a mechanical gauge.
That is the reason why you SHOULD NOT get the flash for OIL PRESSURE problems... It turns the oil gauge into a dummy light... As you found out don't work...

Sorry for the misfortune... But glad you got a mech. oil guage on it!