24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

amsoil, and their products

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2004, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amsoil uses nominal ratings. Absolute is what is important. How many .1 micron particals does a amsoil filter stop on the first pass, probably less than 10 percent.

I have tried to get the absolute ratings from many different amsoil dealers AND the company. They will NOT release the absolute numbers only nominal. That tells me they are scared to release the data for a reason.
Old 06-19-2004, 02:38 PM

Now, THAT is very interesting! I appreciate your reply. I suppose the 10 % rate would be compensated by the fact that it does its filtering continuously. At any rate, my oil analysis tests always come back very good!
Old 06-20-2004, 08:06 AM

Does anyone remember the old (Frantz?) toilet paper roll filters? They had their own canister and were a horrible mess to change, but 40 years ago they enabled folks to get high mileage out of their engines before we had the oils that we have today. I figure that using a modern version of that, the Amsoil bypass, plus a fully synthetic diesel engine oil ought to give me pretty good odds at high engine life.
Old 06-20-2004, 09:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would like to thank all the highly technical opinionated who berate individual products based on personal dislikes. I have stated it before the MLM system Amsoil uses to market their products is bogus and not appreciated by many. This does not mean the highly technical advancements engineered at their cost is not some of the best available just like Royal Purple or Redline. It has also been stated that the "dealers-Amsoil" are less than honest or knowledgable while selling these products and others unlike every large chain or independently owned auto parts place in North America. If the best you can do is offer untechnical opinions based on heresay, table top discussion, wifes tales and that's what Dad did- why should any of us even consider this to be of any more value than bad sales people. Back to the subject at hand A@#$% is so far for me the easiest true PAO engineered lubricant available for most applications in my CTD. Redline is in my NV5600 for the same reason, based on the information people like Eaton Fuller who foolishly increase their warranty from 100,000 miles to 500,000 miles when using the proper synthetic engineered lubricants in their products versus regular old reliable petroleum oils. Perhaps using a local contractors documented use of PAO's on 86 pieces of equipment with increased life and reliability had something to do with my decision. Has there been mechaical failures "YES" all due to substandard mechanical components and operator abuse, of course this never happens with the Dad's recipe for equipment maintenance does it? A@#$% offers me 25000km oil changes because my time is important, it offers me better cold weather starts and hot weather protection, it DOES Not allow me to be abusive to my truck which gets me home every time. I would like to say thanks in advance for all the "Coffee Cup" commandoes who will slander my "opinion" based on technology to compliment my high tech fly by wire CTD. PS I work at one of those overbearing crude oil high profit tar sand refineries- we know what their objectives are!!!!PK
Old 06-20-2004, 09:55 AM

I hate being ignorant; worse yet is everyone else knowing I'm ignorant! Oh well! What is "PAO engineered"? I was hoping that at 25K I wasn't going to far on my Amsoil oil change intervals...glad I'm not the only one!
Old 06-20-2004, 10:03 AM

I like Ams O products, Don't have a problem ordering it with a prompt delivery @ a resonable cost & will spend the extra for the best in my BABY
Old 06-20-2004, 10:38 AM

You got that right!
Old 06-20-2004, 08:41 PM

Thanks for the definition! What you say is basically what I've done: I use their oil and their bypass filter, and test the oil twice yearly: just prior to dumping it (in the Fall) and halfway through. That way everything is fresh for our winter-time trips south to warmer weather, when I'm pulling the fifth-wheel. The tests always come back, "OK for continued use", but I change it anyway. And certainly cost is a factor; even doing it myself in a friend's garage, it's pushing $250CDN to do it all.